Hey! Which Food To Choose

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Hey! Which Food To Choose

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kullboys b

I have a 6 lb long-haired chihuahua and she is currently on Blue Buffalo. I want to switch her to a higher quality food and have narrowed it down between the 4 below. I wanted to see if anyone could help me choose 1 or narrow it down (based on your experience or research). My dog doesn’t have any allergies and generally likes any food that’s put in front of her 🙂

– Nature’s Logic
    – NutriSource
    – Zignature
    – Orijen
    – Instinct

Thanks .

• This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by kullboys b.
    #123126 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi, I have some experience in dog food. I would choose Natures Logic or Instinct. I don’t care for the others. Here are my reasons: Zignatures has too many peas and too much fiber. Orijen lists peas and lentils about six times, even though they use a lot of meat they are still using a lot of beans and such. So to me it is like half and half. Also I know a lot of people like Instinct. Hope this helps.

#123140 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

I have Chihuahuas’ also. Sixteen year old is now on Stella Chewy’s Raw coated kibble small breed with a topper. My four year old and eight year old are both on Stella’s kibble as a small base and get Freeze Dried Stella’s as a topper. Flavors are revieved as five star and they are Chicken, Rabbit, Venison. I also rotate with Primal Freeze Dried Turkey/Sardine and Duck.Both reviews as 5 stars. The only freeze dried topper my 16 year old eats is Bixbi Rawbble in Chicken/Salmon. They not found at Petco but my Pet Supply Store. Very easy to use. Just crumble and add a little warm water. I mix it with the kibble. The Bixbi Chicken/Salmon I just give dry. They are crunchy and almost like a treat to them. All these are high in meat with low carbs.
    This is an example of ingredients in Bixbi Beef.
    Ingredients: Beef, beef liver, beef kidney, beef bone, pumpkin, coconut oil, salmon oil, selenium yeast, vitamin E supplement, manganese proteinate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, d-calcium pantothenate, mixed tocopherols (a preservative), rosemary extract.
    My three are doing great with all the Freeze Dried recipes . I introduced them slowly with each brand and protein. Now I can rotate out. Good luck with your Chi.
    This is the Primal duck recipe
    INGREDIENTS:
    Duck, Duck Necks, Duck Wings, Organic Kale, Duck Hearts, Duck Gizzards, Organic Carrots, Organic Squash, Duck Livers, Organic Broccoli, Organic Apples, Blueberries, Cranberries, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Organic Parsley, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Salmon Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Quinoa Sprout Powder, Dried Organic Kelp, Alfalfa, Vitamin E Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols (natural preservative).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Patricia A.
    #123143 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi,
    Rotate & feed Nature’s Logic– NutriSource – Instinct see which brands your dog does best on & change every 3 months so your dog isn’t just eating 1 brand 24/7 just incase the dry food is high in heavy metal, toxins & contaminates & not balanced properly etc.

I would be looking at Freeze dried foods instead, these brands below got 5 stars & came 1st, 2nd & 3rd when tested for heavy metals & contaminates, you’ll have a healthier dog..

* Buckley Liberty Freeze-Dried formula’s

* CaniSource Grand Cru All Life Stages formula’s

* BIXBI Rawbble Freeze-Dried formula’s
    Freeze dried would be a better choice then dry processed kibbles..

#123193 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Susan sorry for disagreeing with you, but rotating is not for every dog. I just wanted to share that so that if the person that is asking for a opinion they must know there dog and know if they should rotate or not. Some dogs can develop IBS from doing that. Rotating fresh food is always good, but dog food has a formula, I learned this b/c I rotate my dogs fresh meats so I thought I also can rotate dog food, wrong I started having problems. So I found out that dog food has a formula and changing it all the time disturbs the gut flora in some dogs not all. So I would suggest before some one rotates dog foods, know your dog and what he or she can handle.

#123202 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

To Kullboys,

With rotating dog foods, the idea is that by allowing short exposure to a wider variety of protein types, the immune system is primed to a larger range of potential allergens, which strengthens the immune system and may reduce the risk of allergies or symptoms developing, this is particulary “Important for YOUNG animals”.
    Added benefits, a rotational diet allows a better chance of providing a more complete and balanced diet. While most dog foods sold commercially have been balanced to meet nutritional guidelines there is always a chance that one brand might be a little deficient in a nutrient compared to another brand, by rotating a variety of foods your pet is less likely to suffer any deficiencies as they will draw whats needed from other diets..

Dog Food Advisor recommends to rotate your dogs diet, DFA is where I learnt to rotate & strengthen Patches Intestinal tract.

Here’s a parragragh from DFA post

“Isn’t changing dog foods dangerous for the animal?”
    Although some pets can’t tolerate menu changes, I’ve never been able to find “a single scientific study” proving diet rotation to be unhealthy or detrimental to a dog.

/frequently-asked-questions/diet-rotation-for-dogs/

#123215 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

The only foods I would pick from that list are NutriSource or Instinct.

#131996 Report Abuse
    kullboys b
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.