šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paige

I’m searching for a limited ingredient kibble for my allergy prone Bully. I know chicken and salmon are out. I’ve tried Zignature lamb with not much success either. I’m frankly hesitant to get the NVI rabbit because of the China connection. He does ok on Bison and Venison, both aren’t available in NVI choices. I think he has trouble with higher protein levels too. Like human food that is just too rich. I hope this isn’t a stupid question but…if a dog has a chicken allergy, will turkey be too close of a protein? To me..fowl is fowl, but I’m getting desperate and my options are just so limited. Right now I have him on Natural Balance..Venison and he’s on his second bag. He has started with nose rope rawness for the first time ever and very weepy eyes. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#43995 Report Abuse
    Jenna

Hi Paige

There has been some research done into protein sources that are similar (chicken and turkey eg) that suggest that there may be a connection between sensitivities to both. However without trying, you won’t know. Many times food intolerance runs concurrent to inhalant and environmental allergies, and often the symptoms are the same. You are very limited in what is available based on your criteria, so I might give a single source protein turkey or duck and option, and I might not rule out grain, rather choose one that has had limited exposure like Oatmeal etc. I use the GO! Sensitivity + Shine. Are you sure that chicken and Salmon is out, as many foods using those protein sources contain many other carbs that contain protein such as alfalfa, flax, carrots, eggs, etc.? Is home cooking an option? You could have a nutritionist formulate something, and this could work?

#44001 Report Abuse
    Tina

You may want to try and stay away from red meat altogether. Duck, turkey, salmon, fish or maybe even chicken. My dog was on a chicken diet for awhile when I decided to change things up and go for a red meat diet. His skin turned red, itchy, bumpy and even bald in some spots. Now he’s on fish and he is much healthy.

#44006 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you are talking about NVI LID Rabbit kibble, there is no China connection, and it fact I read that they are planning on changing their sourcing of rabbit in their other lines too, so that all their rabbit comes from France. It was the NVI raw that had rabbit from China.

I have a dog with multiple food intolerances and I went to Chewy dot com and read the ingredient list on every single food they carry that the name didn’t automatically rule it out. It took me about 6 hours, but I now have a list of foods to try.

BTW, my dog has a chicken allergy, including eggs, but does fine on turkey, duck, goose, quail, pheasant, etc.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by theBCnut.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by theBCnut.
    #44008 Report Abuse
    Strike12
    Participant

My dog has a chicken allergy but is fine with turkey. Actually he’s really good on turkey.

#44014 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi Paige,
    Some other limited ingredient diets for you to look at are Canidae Pure, Wellness Simple, California Natural, Canine Caviar.

#44015 Report Abuse
    Tina

Be careful of Wellness Simple, I found bones in the Salmon

#44023 Report Abuse
    Paige

Thanks everyone! I will check out the suggestions and maybe give the turkey a try. @theBCnut I had read rabbit from a China was used by NVI in their canned and raw, but the kibble used rabbit from France. Sadly, I don’t trust most mfg but I will read some more about it. Thank you! And my Jake thanks you all too!

#44024 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Paige,

I’m looking for the email, but I asked NV a while back about the source of the rabbit in their kibble and it’s sourced from France. They also source rabbit from China and Italy. Like BCnut said, they’re trying to eliminate all sourcing of rabbit from China, which would be a great move on their part!

Some other “limited ingredient” foods to check into might be Acana, Back to Basics, Simply Nourish and Wysong. Nature’s Recipe (Del Monte) has a new line of limited ingredient foods that haven’t been rated yet, but are probably OK foods that would be very budget friendly.

Edit: Found it!

Here’s the response to my email that I received from them on 10/15/2012:

Dear Betsy,

Thank you for e-mailing!

The rabbit protein we use in our raw diet is from China. The rabbit in our canned is sourced from Italy and China, while the rabbit in our kibble is from France. We employ a U.S. educated food scientist in China to oversee our rabbit sourcing. All rabbit protein is tested before shipment from China and again after it arrives in the U.S. for processing into our raw diet. We are very confident in how we handle our sourcing from China. We source most of our ingredients from the U.S. and turn to other locations only as needed. We are very stringent on our sourcing and have good relationships built with our vendors for quality ingredients.

Thanks for supporting our products!

Sincerely,
    Shannon

Consumer Relations
    Nature’s Variety
    1-888-519-7387
    http://www.naturesvariety.com

#44122 Report Abuse
    Paige

Thanks so much for that Betsy…I so appreciate it..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.