Help with formula change. How significant?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Help with formula change. How significant?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CaneCorso15

Can someone please help me with how significant the formula change is for my current dog food. The food is Beaverdam Eli’s Choice Dry Dog food. The company is still advertising their 4.5 rating from dogfoodadviser but as a costumer, I feel like I was shafted when the unannounced changes took place.

OLD Formula:
    Beef meal, Sweet potato, Chicken meal, peas, Chicken fat,pork meal, Alfalfa meal, Dried Egg product, Flax seed, Potassium Chloride, Dried Kelp, natural chicken flavor, Alfalfa nutrient concentrate, Montmorillonite, salt, vegetable&fruit pomace, pumpkin seed, blueberries, apple, spinach, and a long list of other ingredients.
    New Formula:
    Chicken Meal, Peas-Ground, Chicken Fat, Pea Starch, Pork Meal, Lentils, Pea Protien, Montmorillonite Clay, Sweet Potato, Alfalfa, Flax, Egg, salt, zucchini, carrot, papaya, blueberry, choline, vitamin a supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, thiamon monoitrate, biotin, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folive acid, minerals, and a long list of other ingredients.

Thanks for your help.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by CaneCorso15. Reason: typos
    #64218 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Wow! Looks significant to me. The main protein and the main carb are different. The ingredients of the original recipe remind me of the grain free Victor that I regularly feed my dogs.

#64219 Report Abuse
    CaneCorso15

Yes, the food was pretty decent and a local company that I did not mind supporting. The new formula however, is something i’m not willing to feed my dog. Looks to me like they replaced the more expensive Protien sources with cheap alternatives. What gets me more is, they just posted on their Facebook page a link to dogfoodadviser showing they are one of the best dry dog food. But, when you compare ingredients, that doesn’t seem the case anymore.

#64220 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Looks like they removed the beef meal and added lentils. The original formula already had peas and the new formula just has more of it.

#64222 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, I’m not sure what the rules or laws are regarding ingredient changes, but the company seems like it is being a bit deceptive. Do you have Victor in your area? As I said earlier, the ingredients are similar. Check it out!

#64225 Report Abuse
    CaneCorso15

Very doubtful victor is available locally, but thanks for the recommendation. I was feeding Earthborn Primitive Natural before I made the switch. My only issue with earthborn was, it always seemed like it was on backorder when I needed to reorder. That and their 28lb bags lasted about 2 weeks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.