🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    harpersmom
    Participant

Can anyone suggest great supplements for a 4.5 year old, Otherwise Very Healthy ,Female Akita who just had TPLO surgery, and will go back in in 8 weeks for the other leg? She’s no dummy, naturally cutting back her own calories when free feeding kibble- due to the reduction in energies spent. I feed Wellness kibble along with a Multitude of Fresh proteins & whole foods. I rotate, advocating variety: chicken, buffalo, salmon, mackerel, fresh caught river trout , a bit of seaweed for iodine, raw farm fresh eggs, some cooked whole grains (everything from barley to quinoa to oatmeal, i rotate), some greens, some fruit & veggies (avocado yesterday). I give a Fish Sourced Omega Oil supplement w/dha (extra now, for inflammation), glucosamine/chondroitin MSM, I’m making fresh chicken broth to give her collagen, and mixing the broth with gelatin for chicken blox treats. Extra protein right now for healing skin, ligaments, muscle. Normal supplements include daily and rotated treats, too: brewer’s yeast, marrow bones, cultured dairy (she LOVES my homemade creme fraiche and yoghurt), probiotics (daily, especially since she’s on antibiotics right now…wellness kibble has prebiotics in it, too), seasonally: fresh raw local honey w/pollen for allergies. Perhaps i’m leaving some basic vit/min supplements off this list, but are there any supplements that will specifically aid in healing, recover, address inflammation, or help reduce pain that i’m missing? The vet has her on Rimadyl, antibiotics, tramadol. Thank you… And if you’ve personally gone through a TPLO with a Big, Young, Active dog, i’d LOVE to ask you some very specific questions, if anyone has the time… I appreciate your help.

#18508 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi harpersmom –

It sounds like she’s eating a very high quality diet.

Some natural anti-inflammatories you could look into: boswellia, yucca, bromelain, turmeric (curcumin) and tart cherry. I’ve been hearing good things about esterified fatty acids (like celadrin). Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and hyaluronic acid are beneficial for joint maintenance and repair. Whole foods that are beneficial for joint health (rich in glucosamine/chondroitin) are green lipped mussel, sea cucumber and velvet antler. Some people also have luck with Chinese herbs (although that’s hit or miss from what I hear). Before you use anything discuss it with your vet to make sure it won’t interact with her medications. I personally would try to get her weaned off the Rimadyl as soon as you can. Good luck!

#18513 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Another EFA (esterified fatty acid) is cetyl-myristoleate. I’ve bought Cetyl-M by Response Products and Jarrow True CMO and I give raw trachea.

#18516 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I ordered some of the NOW Foods Celadrin + MSM to try on Gus, it has cetyl myristate and a few other esterified fatty acids.

#18536 Report Abuse
    harpersmom
    Participant

Thank you, HDM & all…. I was wondering about co-Q 10? Even tho she’s young… will it help with healing? I’ll try the natural anti inflammatories, thanks. I knew of turmeric, but not the others…

Meanwhile, i’m brand new here- where should i post to ask for a specific brand or even Site to purchase a GREAT Electric grooming razor? Harper has a coat like a sheep, i’ve bought two, both did NOT work on her. The one at the vets office did. The groomer’s did. Clearly, i need a fantastic, professional razor, but this is not a field i know anything about… i’ve always taken her to get a lionish cut in summer for cooling, but this year, she just won’t be able to take it, she’s too fragile. Sadly, she’s already too hot… i think if i buy one and shave her a little every day? Even if it looks silly, she’ll be more comfortable.

#18538 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Ask the vet and groomer what brand of clippers they use then look for that specific brand on places like Jeffers Pet supplies.

#18542 Report Abuse
    harpersmom
    Participant

yeah, i thought of that… i just feel a wee bit embarrassed at calling them up all the time- it’s a busy specialty surgery practice… and i’m not sure me needing a razor fits under the category of medicine 😉 ….I did ask the receptionist when i picked Harp up from surgery, but she didn’t know. I thought there might be a “Go To” model, for sheep-like triple coated Big Dogs, that people in a ‘doggie’ culture know about… Thank you for taking the time to respond.

#18571 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi harpersmom –

I found this concerning CoQ10 and recovery after surgery:

“CoQ10 is found in virtually all cells of the human body as a molecular compound in the mitochondria; a long, oval-shaped part of cells that convert nutrients into energy, including in the heart, liver and skeletal muscles. CoQ10 promotes energy after surgery by functioning as a carrier to transfer electrons across the membrane of mitochondria, which are the energy generators in the body’s cells.”
    [nsc24.com/surgery]

Supplementing with CoQ10 definitely wouldn’t hurt anything, although concerning TPLO surgery I’m sure some of the other supplements mentioned would provide more benefit. Oily fish (like sardines), ruminant organ meat (heart, liver and kidneys) and eggs are all rich in CoQ10.

#18622 Report Abuse
    harpersmom
    Participant

Thanks HDM! Boy, you’re a font of wisdom. Anyone tell you lately that you help the world by posting answers to people’s queries? You’re a good person. Be proud.

I used to be a HUGE fan of those dried liver treats. Sometime ago, i stopped`, probably the cost or the time it takes to get to the store that carries them… I’ll see if i can order online for a reasonable amount. I can also make her my mom’s chicken liver recipe! This whole thing: Surgery, staying home, supplements- costing a fortune! She’s worth it, but i’m definitely needing to watch my budget, big time! 😉 Thanks again, HDM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.