Help my dog is sick

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Help my dog is sick

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Took my dog to vet yesterday because he threw up about 3 times. Thought it might be pancreatitus because I had given him a can of natures variety instinct and it is too high in fat for him after eating hk zeal. Test showed no pancreatitus. Vet gave him nauseau shot ofcerenia and wormed him. He was okay last night and today. He wouldn’t eat zeal today so I gave him his canned merrick. Tonight he is wanting to go outside took him out and he went crazy trying to eat grass and bushes. He is walking around in circles . What should I do? He has been in this food for several months. I guess I should have stayed on kibble. Do you think this food is too high in protein? I hope I get to sleep tonight if not I’ll be in the vet office in morning .Any suggestions on what u would recommend the vet to do. Thanks

#26177 Report Abuse

Keep a close eye on him. Sometimes the snap test for pancreatitis comes up negative at the early stage. I have heard of this happening a few times to people, only to be positive 24-48 hrs later.

#26224 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Melissaandcrew and anyone. My yorkie is still sick(see above) He is not throwing up but he has soft stools and terrible gas which he never has. He will not eat his hk at all. He will eat a little of his canned merrick. I do the pumpkin,yogurt,digestive enzymes and it hasn’t helped. He has been on hk and merrick canned since June before that he was on bb longevity kibble. I’m wondering if maybe merrick is too rich for him and too high in protein,he is a 7lb yorkie. He was doing great on the dry longevity until he got sturvite crystals so went with low carbs. Maybe he needs lower protein. Anyone have any canned suggestions or maybe I should go back on kibble with canned. I don’t know what to do. If he he’s not better by Monday I’m going back to vet and have blood panel and urinalysis done. I don’t know what to try to feed him tonight. He still wants his dr. Harvey’s sweet potatoe chew and his GL pumpkin treats. Any advice would be appreciated.

#26225 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I would give him a low fat, cooked homemade food for a week or two like chicken and quinoa. And do a follow up blood test. And then if he’s feeling better, very slowly add in his regular food.

#26241 Report Abuse
    mhotz34
    Participant

My 4 month old German shepherd is getting diarrhea after she eats. I stopped with the food for a few days and gave her plain white rice and it seemed to help but was still a little loose. Then when i gave her food again i mixed it with the rice for a few more days. But she still has it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

#26242 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Mhotz34-
    Have you taken a stool sample in to vet to be tested for parasites? Unfortunately Giardia and Coccidia are fairly common for puppies.

#26250 Report Abuse
    lizbethc41
    Participant

Muggsy recently went through a bout of bad colitis diarrhea. Had the vet do a fecal, UA & blood work to rule out other causes. I guess I knocked Muggsy’s system out of whack by switching his 1/2 Party Animal canned grain free & 1/2 home cooked diet around too quickly.
    With held food for 24 hrs & then gave him boiled rice & beef (a novel protein for him). I also always just used pumpkin & dig enzyme/probiotics, but to no avail this time. Still had issues so I got some Vetri-Science Fast Balance. This stuff worked like magic!!! No more diarrhea !!!
    I keep it on hand now. I’ve needed it once ’cause I took him to the bank & the bank ladies gave him Milk Bones <sigh> (I figure it’s like letting your kid have McDonald’s) & he had some soft poo. One dose of Vetri Science & back on track!! I’m sure I”ll need it when I transition him from beef/sweet potato to turkey/quinoa.
    The vet said it’s not hard to get a dog’s gut bacteria out of sync. If your vet rules out all other causes, see what they think about the Fast Balance.

#26270 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Pugmomsandy:my sick yorkie just lapped up the chicken and Quinoa could I also give him chicken and rice?If I do this for a week he will never eat dog food again. Now let’s see if he keeps us up all night with gas like he did last night. Thanks for the suggestion! Also I just gave him 1/4 cup he weighs 7lbs. He wanted more but I was afraid to give him too much. How much do u think I should give him? Thanks again

#26276 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Well, chicken/rice and dinovite and fish oil can be a complete and balanced meal. LOL! And he’s so little, you could make a big batch to last a whole month. Who cares about “dog food”!! Oh, you’ll need to add eggs.

This site says 1/2 cup daily, but you know how that goes:

http://homemadedogfood.com/chicken-and-rice-dog-food-recipe/

There was a reason I didn’t say rice. I can’t remember what it is. It was a Shawna recommendation. Also, I guess I wouldn’t feed rice everyday either since there is some arsenic in it. I know lots of foods have arsenic in them…but daily, long term rice I would avoid.

#26281 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You could do chicken/rice, then chicken/quinoa, then chicken/millet to give a variety. Maybe later add in some organ meat like heart/gizzard. Or start adding back in the kibble in a couple weeks.

#26289 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

What is dinovite/

#26300 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

It’s the supplement product that the recipe uses at homemadedogfood.com.

http://www.dinovite.com/catalog/product/view/id/208/category/167/

#26333 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Very bad night!! No gas,still having soft stools but he woke us up at2a.m.and he was paralyzed. He was dragging his upper body and could not walk. Did not seem to be any pain so put him in bed and slept till 7 a.m He still could not walk then around 8 a.m he started walking with a limp. Took him to the vet at 9 a.m did 4dx test and it was negative. In house blood work showed everything normal. Sent off blood also will get results tomorrow.Started to give him tylosol(antibiotic) but I declined so he told me to give him his chicken and rice for a few days and gradual start adding his food to this. To use yogurt,digestive enzymes and probiotic which I already do. Said it might be a seizure of some kind. Basically he did not know. I don’t know what kind of food to start him with. I don’t want anymore canned merrick going back with kibble and canned. What kind should I try?don’t want real high protein,fat, or carbs. He was on hk too but I don’t want that either. I associate the canned and dehydrated with his sickness. He was ok until I started switching his food around. Does anyone know what could have caused this paralysis. He has never been sick before and he’s 5 years old.any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

#26450 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Pugsmomsandy read the above dr. just called said the paralysis could have been a seizure and he got his blood work back and said his t4 was .5 in April it was 2.8 so he wants to start him on thyroid medicine . I think he thinks the low thyroid had something to do with the paralysis. He said his white count was a little up but his pH had dropped from 8.5 to 6 since June. What is going on with my baby? He’s still on the chicken and rice and his stomach is a lot better but I’ve got to find him a dog food and start mixing it with the chicken and rice. Any thoughts on the matter would be so appreciated.Could the low thyroid have something to do with his digestive system being in an uproar?headed to see my vet whose also my friend. I think sometimes he doesn’t want to tell me the bad stuff!

#26453 Report Abuse
    dawne
    Participant

I’m so sorry for your troubles. My boy has recently been diagnosed with stress colitis. The vet recommended a bland diet. He has been eating prescription Purina EN Gastroenteric kibble (your vet should have it or get it for you) I was worried about the kibble being too big since my boy is an 11 lb. Bichon, but I just add some warm tap water and make it soupy and he’s eating it just fine. In fact, I’m shocked he’s eating it at all. He’s always been a very picky eater. To give him variety I sometimes add some boiled chicken or canned unseasoned pumpkin. To make the boiled chicken, I buy bagged frozen chicken tenderloins or breasts. I boil a few to last a few days , shred and refridgerate. In your case, I would probably stick with the kibble and chicken. I hope your boy gets well soon.

#26455 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Well, I hope he tells you everything! I can see how hypothyroidism can make him feel bad. I just got a thyroid diagnosis last month and I’ve been feeling off for at least a year! Affected my digestion, muscle weakness and I’ve been exhausted for the longest time. I didn’t see my doctor for 3 years though. If it were my dog, I probably would have taken him a long time ago!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.