Help me choose a food please!

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Help me choose a food please!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jewlz2121
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m brand spankin new here, so hello. I am adopting a 4 and a half month old American Bulldog/Boxer-Hound puppy who currently weighs 41lbs. He’s estimated to be 80 plus lbs as an adult. He has been fed a petsmart store brand dry food up until now. For obvious reasons, I want to change this and feed him something much better. I have looked through the 10 page awesome large breed puppy thread as well as the created doc file on the best foods with lower calcium. Cost is a factor for us. We wanted to go with a Dry Kibble that was able to be bought at a pet store or easy delivery service. From the list, I was leaning toward Wellness Core Puppy and the Kirkland brand. However, I don’t have a Costco membership so that might be a problem! Can anyone help point me in the right direction to make sure puppy has a better finish to his puppyhood than he started out with? He’s currently eating 2 cups in the a.m. and 1 cup in the p.m. – seems like a lot??? How long to stay on a puppy food? Thank you SO MUCH!

#20438 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That really doesn’t sound like too much food for a dog that size. If I were you, I would print up that list and take it with you and make notes on it. Find out what you have where you are at and how much it costs. I just discovered Earthborn and think it would be a nice food for large breeds and they have 2 flavors that are appropriate for large breeds, Coastal Catch and Meadow Feast. Stay on puppy food until rapid growth has slowed down, about 8-10 months. All Life Stages foods are appropriate for growth.

#20442 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I have a question for you jewlz2121, sorry to be off your topic, but can you please post a picture of your puppy when you get it? That has got to be one adorable puppy! 🙂

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Cyndi.
    #20451 Report Abuse
    SusanandEcho
    Participant

If you are looking for Large Breed Puppy food, Wellness L.B. Puppy is probably one of the best in terms of level of calcium and phos. I work in a pet food store and this is a popular one for those looking for large breed specifically. I agree with Patty…print your list and take it with you.
    If you have a specialty pet food store near you I would go that route. The people who work there are more apt to be more knowledgeable simply based on their love of animals. Also ask if the store guarantees their food. The store I work at guarantees all of the food…..if your pet does not like it, won’t eat it, etc then it can be returned for a full refund as long as there is half a bag or more and within 45 days of purchase. Lastly, ask about Frequent Buyer programs, such as buy 10 bags and get the 11th bag free. Most pet foods now days have one.

#20452 Report Abuse
    jewlz2121
    Participant

I’m not sure how to post a picture, I’d love to show him off! OK, I didn’t see Wellness LB Puppy on the list. Is that because it has grains and grains are not good now? It’s been a while since I’ve been pet food shopping! The store I’m going to today has both the Wellness Core Puppy and the Wellness LB Puppy. The Core is a smidge more expensive for not by much. Is the Kirkland brand worth me getting a membership to Costco?

#20453 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m not positive, but I think the story with Wellness LBP is that when the list was made they didn’t make the cut because of too much calcium, but they have reformulated and reduced the calcium levels so now they are OK.

Costco membership is worth it if you are going to feed much canned food. They have a good canned food at a great price. Their kibble is made by Diamond, so not worth it, IMO.

You have to go to Gravatar to get an avatar.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by theBCnut.
    #20455 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Or……you can just go over to the review part and maybe go to the Off Topic thread and post a picture of him there…… 🙂 Then the pic will be bigger than a little thumbnail and I can oooooohhhh and ahhhhhh over him! Lol!

Here’s a link for you to make it easier
    /off-topic-discussion/

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Cyndi.
    #20468 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

jewlz,

I highly recommend the membership to Costco, on its own merits, but not dog foods. On that note, Costco guarantees that you recoup your $50 membership within 6 months plus savings, and will allow you to cancel with refund and keep merchandise if you do not or are unhappy. Ask.

I’m a huge fan of Costco, but this is not one of their stronger merchandise sections. And be wary of the treats too; they often (not always exclusively) have China made stuff. I don’t recommend the Kirkland/Nature’s Domain foods because they are Diamond manufactured, which I believe makes them overly risky, and to get those low prices they cheapen & take short cuts on many of the ingredients and overall formulations you see, such that they are not really comparable to some higher quality foods.

I know little about Boxers & Bulldogs, really not my breeds, but enough to caution PLEASE be careful about whatever nutritional and life care precautions necessary re: dilated cardiomyopathy in which available taurine and carnitine factor and bone issues from extremely high breed incidence of hip dysplasia (Bulldogs; see OFA stats) to cruciate ligature and bone wear & tear stress w/Boxers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.