šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I took my yorkie off kibble 3 months ago. He’s been on merrick canned(all varieties) and nature’s variety instinct. I received my honest kitchen today so I gave him 1/2of 1/4 cup and 1.6 Ounces of merrick canned going to do tonight for a daily total of166 calories. He weighs 7lbs and has a tendency to get fat. What amount should I feed him? Iwas thinking about going all honest kitchen but I’m not impressed with the way it looks or smells. he’s on the zeal. Should I rotate with cans or use only this? Please tell me again that this is better than kibble because I miss kibble and my yorkie seem to have more energy on it. I s he considered active or average he walks a mile in the morning and at night. We play in the back yard some but he sleeps a lot. What do u think? Thank u for all ur help!!!

#23934 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Definitely rotate! Figure out how many calories he has been getting and feed THK based on that. We don’t know how many calories he needs.

Could his lack of energy be the heat?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by theBCnut.
    #23940 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

So I should rotate instead of feeding him just honest kitchen? I thought it was suppose to be better than canned.no it’s not the heat!

#23944 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Even if one food is better than another, it is not perfect. And there is still benefit from getting the variety of nutrients that rotation gives you. THK has really good food, but they are not perfect.

#23951 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I’m having a hard time with giving him a different food twice a day because of the amounts and keeping it in the refrigerator too many days so my question is this. Can I give him one food for a month then a different food the next month and so forth or should I give him say honest kitchen for 2 days,then merrick for 2 days(it takes me 2 days for 1 can) then a3rd food for 2 days then start over like this in about 3 months with 3 different foods .Would this still be rotating?

#23952 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, that is still rotating.

#23956 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Any kind of variation is beneficial, whether it’s daily, every couple meals, weekly or monthly or more. If it’s easier to serve meals based on calories, then I would do that. Once you get a feel for the different amounts of different foods he can eat, then you can start mixing them up. Mine get kibble sometimes for days when I don’t thaw something out!

#23996 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’d love to be feeding Zeal to a yorkie; a ten pound box would last so long!

#24027 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I ordered the small box to see if he likes it. He ate it today but he didn”t seem to like it as well as the canned nature variety instinct or merricks or even kibble. He will eat anything. I wasn’t real impressed with it. It actually stunk to me. I don’t know about this dehydrated food. I added a little scrambled egg to it tonight and he liked it better. Glad I only ordered the small box.

#24158 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I have this box of Honest kitchen zeal and my yorkie who will ANYTHING looks up at me at meal time with that please give me something good to eat look then slowly eats it. I can’t stand this, I want him to enjoy what he eats and he loves merrick canned, natures variety instinct canned. Do you think it’s because it’s dehydrated and he’s never had dehydrated before. Should I continue with it or maybe just add it to his canned until its gone. What is in zeal that has a spicey smell? My husband says don’t make him eat that junk. I said its good food and expensive. Any thoughts?

#24159 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

First, tell your husband it’s not junk. How are you approaching giving him the food? I’m a believer that our dogs sense how we feel. You know how they say our dogs feel our emotions at the end of the leash? I think it’s the same thing: if you think it’s junk, tht it’s gross or you’re worried if he’ll eat it, he my sense that.

I’ve never had a dog not like THK but I’ve suggested people put it in a kong, then freeze it or pickier pups.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.