Healthy and No Recalls Dog Food For Picky Dog

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Healthy and No Recalls Dog Food For Picky Dog

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Blue1693
    Participant

I need help finding a good dog food for my 2 and a half year old, 15 pound Shih Tzu. While at a friend’s house, he was given some Purina Beneful Healthy Weight. I was so happy and shocked that he was eating because he is the pickiest eater in the world. I have tried numerous dog foods like two flavors of Blue Buffalo, Caesar’s, Pedigree, a hypoallergenic type, etc. Well, I ran out and bought a bag of the Beneful because I was so happy my dog likes a food…until I read the ingredients. CORN? Chicken BY PRODUCT? EW! I read some reviews and found it to be the worst dog food that can have serious health consequences. I threw that bag away and informed my friend. Unfortunately, I am back where I started, my dog still refuses to eat and I do not know what to do. I mixed the dry food with water, warmed it up, and added some turkey. That only seems to help for a day and then my dog gets tired of it. I even have resorted to feeding him turkey and rice almost every day just so he will eat and even know he still backs up from food. The vet said that a dog will not starve themselves and there are dogs that live to eat and then there are dogs that eat to live (mine would be in the second category). I then bought Newman’s Own Organic Adult Formula and mixed some water in and he ate it. I want to know if that brand is good? And if not, are there any other brands that are healthy and have no recalls?

#20553 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

/dog-food-reviews/newmans-own-organics-dog-food-dry/

#20554 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Since you have a small dog, you might be able to feed him some rolled dog food or even canned dog food. Deli Fresh Slice and Serve, FreshPet Select Slice and Serve are in the refrigerated section in the pet food isle and I think even Walmart has them. Beneful also has sugar which I’m sure makes it real tasty!

#20556 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

I have a small picky Shih Tzu too. When I first got him from the shelter, they were feeding him Purina One. I switched him to other healthier kibbles, and he’s been eating better, but still picky. Once I switched him over to raw, he’s been licking his plate clean every meal.

These are the kibbles I’ve tried. They’re all listed as 5 star food.
    /dog-food-reviews/dogswell-nutrisca-dog-food/
    /dog-food-reviews/earthborn-holistic-grain-free/

He was very interested in the kibbles the first few days, then he would turn his nose up. I have to crumble some treats on top of the kibbles, and he would eat them. These are some of the ones I use to add to his kibble.
    http://amzn.com/B000Z3ODTG
    http://amzn.com/B001NIZUA8

I switched him to Ziwipeak and never had to add anything. He loves the food.
    /dog-food-reviews/ziwipeak-dog-food-dehydrated/

Ziwipeak was getting too expensive, then I switched him to PMR, and never looked back. I still add pre-made raw to his diets for variety.

#20557 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Some people put a little parmesan cheese on their dog’s kibble to make it more appealling for the picky ones. My dogs love goat milk, so I can just pour a tablespoon or two on their dry food. I like Answers Goat Milk.

#20564 Report Abuse
    Blue1693
    Participant

Thanks for all the feedback. Does anyone know if the newmans own canned dog food is good? I read the review but I want some one that actually fed it to their dog.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.