Has anyone seen this From the FDA?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Has anyone seen this From the FDA?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark C

I just received this email a short while ago from the food and drug administration. I would love to hear some other dog owners take on what the FDA is saying. I understand they’re going to investigate a possible Link between heart disease and some ingredients in, I guess primarily grain free foods. What will you do now that you have this information?

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting pet owners and veterinary professionals about reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs eating certain pet foods containing peas, lentils, other legume seeds, or potatoes as main ingredients. These reports are unusual because DCM is occurring in breeds not typically genetically prone to the disease.”

The entire press release can be found here:
    http://s2027422842.t.en25.com/e/es?s=2027422842&e=109574&elqTrackId=B1F0B909CCF90C71B9C490C37BFE6647&elq=a075f007757c4a3a9b9df7d175de0368&elqaid=4228&elqat=1

#119547 Report Abuse
    Linda G

There is another post on this. You might also be interested in this NY Times article
    Popular Grain-Free Dog Foods May Be Linked to Heart Disease https://nyti.ms/2JToh5J

#119548 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Linda G-
    That is a great article. Thanks for posting!

I will be feeding very little if any grain free food from now on. I had been rotating between grain free and grain inclusive kibble, but will probably discontinue with grain free until more is found out. My dogs are a lab/golden retriever mix which seems to be mentioned in most of the articles. I do not feel strongly about feeding grain free anyway, so why take the risk?

I’ve never understood why so many people think that legumes and potatoes are better than grains anyway! My dogs do well with kibble that includes oatmeal as their main carb.

Good luck everyone, this is a little scary!

#119848 Report Abuse
    ThisDogHunts

Thanks for sharing that article.
    For the past few years, I’ve been steadily working on improving the quality of my dog’s food and did modify his grain intake, but haven’t completely removed it.

#120918 Report Abuse
    Mary G

For years I’ve fed Grain Free Lamb based rated 5 stars. I just read the NY Times article and sure enough, my dog food is low on Taurine and high on Legumes. Time for me to switch. Based on the article I’m first going to look at beef or chicken based, but will avoid any legumes. Thankfully I’ve not had any heart disease in my dogs by feeding this, but I’m not going to risk it. There are other excellent foods to choose from.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.