šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    InkedMarie

After exchanging a bunch of emails with Tracy and talking to Alexandra via FB, we decided to try getting some grinds from Hare Today. We ordered chicken, beef, turkey and duck. They all have ground meat, bone and organs and the beef has added tripe. Tracy from Hare today said I don’t need to continue to use probiotics and digestive enzymes: what do you all think of that? Do you use them if you feed raw?

#14885 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Glad to hear you’re ordering from Hare Today! Their stuff is awesome, you’ll love it. I don’t think probiotics and enzymes are necessary for a raw diet, especially not if the dog is getting green tripe. I don’t supplement with enzymes or probiotics. My dogs get green tripe every other day and kefir daily. With that said it’s certainly not going to hurt anything to add probiotics and enzymes, it would just be an unnecessary expense imo.

#14889 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Pardon my hijack, Marie!

#14890 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hey… where’s the rest of my post? Weird.

#14891 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

OK, in a nutshell, my question was about kefir. I’m interested in it for myself and my dogs and recommended it to a friend recently for her dog ~ kefir made with goat milk as her dog is allergic to cow’s milk, which she could pick up at a nearby health food store. It doesn’t sound like making kefir is easy though and I wondered if you made your own or bought it and if it’s difficult, etc.

#14892 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Betsy –

I buy my kefir. My Hannaford carries Lifeway and Evolve brand – I get the Lifeway because it as 12 strains of probiotics (versus 11 in the Evolve) and more vitamin d. I eat it myself as well – it’s great in granola. I’ve never looked into making kefir but I’d imagine it’s similar to making yogurt, a lot of people make homemade yogurt.

#14893 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

My dad used to make yogurt. Something makes me think making yogurt is a heckuva lot easier than making kefir.

Lifeway kefir it is, HDM!

Thanks!

#14894 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Back to the OP, I only feed tripe once a week as an entire meal and I have a dog with issues, so I still use probiotics 1/2 dose about twice a week. I do the digestive enzymes 1/2 dose with kibble for him. I’m not sure he really gets any benefit from them, but I’ve got them from when he was really having issues and I’m going to use them up. I got the 3 jar deal from Mercola and I’m still on my first jar, months later.

#14900 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi ladies, thanks for the info! Patty answered the question, i think, that i was going to ask. Mine rarely get tripe because I forget about ordering it. I do have a certain amount of beef coming, with tripe, from Hare Today but they won’t be getting beef daily. I was going to ask what to do about the fact they won’t be getting beef daily but I think Patty answered it: 1/2 dose a couple times a week. Gemma will still get them as she is on Bravo Balance for part of breakfast and THK in the evening.
    Regarding the kefir, HDM: whats the dosage? I have two 30 pounders and one 22 pounder

#14901 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Marie –

I’d say 1/4 C. would be fine. I generally give my guys 1/4 C. each on the days they have green tripe and 1/2 C. each on the days they don’t get tripe. It would be a great addition to kibble meals – you could use it to make a “cereal” and add moisture. Most dogs tolerate it very well as it’s very low in lactose.

#14903 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Thanks HDM. My dogs don’t ever turn up their noses at anything in their food. Ever. The last dog that did was Tucker when I got a free bag of Natures Variety medallions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.