šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dogmom2
    Participant

Well this year is turning out to be the year of the foot for Hank. I feel bad for him…we get him back up and running (so to speak) and then his foot flares up and won’t heal. Interdigital furuncles are not for the faint of heart I will tel you that.

So we went to see the vet for his adequan shot, and chiropractic adjustment today. His foot flared up big time a week or so ago and it looks terrible, so the vet took a look at it, cleaned it up and trimmed the hair around the opening…and she decided to try a new antibiotic. We are concerned that this years occurrence is so persistent. While we were there I was going to pick up a bottle of the probiotic and enzyme support I use, only to learn that the manufacturer is no longer making it. (Iflora pet probiotic and enzymes by Sedona Labs). We have been using it daily for a few years for both boys…Hanks skin and allergy and Dewey’s digestive issues both benefited from it.

I am very bummed and having a hard time finding anything comparable. I picked up the Honest Kitchen probiotic that just came out, but there is no digestive enzyme component. Also, it is not super cost effective for 2 big boys.

We are still feeding Darwin’s, with some honest kitchen preference and local pastured meats etc..
    They get brothers kibble with Merrick canned for most dinners. We feed green tripe about once a week. They get coconut oil, fish oil, spirulina, kefir and curcumin pretty much daily.

So what are you all using for probiotic and enzymes???

In happier news…we have had a nice Summer overall. We bought a used canoe that the boys love to cruise around in…and the sun has been out around here this year! ( we live on the north coast of ca do it is often foggy ). Hank turned 11 a few weeks ago, and is doing really well aside from his feet. Dewey is approaching 8 and is still a youngster at heart. DH took him for a nice beach run this morning.

Thanks for listening, and for any ideas you may have..

Laur

• This topic was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by dogmom2.
    #23248 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Look at Swanson’s, we’ve been using Dr. Stephen Langer’s Ultimate 15 Strain Probiotic and Swanson’s Premium Digestive Enzymes. They regularly have good deals in addition to their already great prices.

#23265 Report Abuse
    dogmom2
    Participant

Thanks Patty! I was trying to remember the name of the store you guys all liked. I will check it out.

#23266 Report Abuse
    dogmom2
    Participant

Well, poop. I just went to their website and they can’t ship probiotics to California.

It looks like the enzymes are okay though I will swing by the local natural food store today and see what they offer that is comparable.

#23275 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Just look for as many strains as possible. If you can’t find a good one and your dogs tolerate dairy well, look for kefir by the yogurt in the grocery. It has a better range of probiotics than yogurt. You can give your dogs about 1/4 cup per day.

#23287 Report Abuse
    dogmom2
    Participant

We settled on the same probiotic that DH and I use. It has 10 strains and 2 prebiotics. We use kefir regularly and DH picked up an new bottle today. (we use plain goats milk kefir). He said the coop has a Nice selection of enzymes so I will check it out this week. I would feel a lot better overall.

As much as I HATE antibiotics..Hankys foot looks much better today. So maybe maybe….

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by dogmom2.
    #23289 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That sounds good!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.