šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy R

No ratings for this one yet, though it is fairly new. H-E-B is a grocery store chain that is very prominent in Texas (kind of the Texas version of Publix) and is a favorite of locals. They have been offering many store brand natural/organic products of high quality over the years, and have recently introduced their own brand of premium dog food called “Heritage Ranch”. This line is grain free, with no artificial colors or flavors. There is no review on this site yet, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with this food? If not, maybe someone knowledgeable could take a look at the list of ingredients and let me know what you think?

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-heritage-ranch-grain-free-chicken-amp-chickpea-dog-food/1866127

#76968 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Am I missing the list of protein, fat etc?

#76986 Report Abuse
    Jeremy R

I can’t seem to find a listing of the nutritional information, so I will try to go by the store in the next couple of days and snap a photo of the information on the bag.

#77109 Report Abuse
    Jeremy R

Here is a photo of the nutritional information from the actual bag: http://i.imgur.com/Q1iaKn7.jpg

#77112 Report Abuse
    Kat

I am interested in hearing about this product as well. Had to run to HEB for emergency dog food for the morning time. I had gotten off work late and was unable to make it to the specialty store where I normally go for my dog’s food, which closes early. I knew I wouldn’t find much at the grocery store but I crossed my fingers. I found Heritage Ranch (I only needed some for the morning, so I bought the canned kind). Reading the label.. it didn’t sound all to bad. At least compared to all the others that said “meat meal” as first ingredient. I’m certainly not looking to switch my dog food over to this, but I am quite curious about it.

#78053 Report Abuse
    Lorraine C

One thing I am noticing is the “Produced in USA” label. I’m not an expert on deciphering this sort of thing but could that mean the ingredients were mixed/assembled in USA but possibly some ingredients came from other countries ?(ex. China) in which case I would be wary. Im currently feeding my dog this brand, Salmon Chickpea flavor, which she enjoys and seems to have a little more energy with. I would love for Dog Food Advisor to review this brand..

#78054 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

That’s very possible Lorraine. You would need to contact them for manufacturing info (most store brands are actually from somewhere else) and then contact for ingredient sourcing. It’s sometimes hard to get that information out of people, so I tend to avoid store brand foods for that reason. However, if all is on the up and up, it looks decent, and if I were to guess, would be 3.5-4 stars for the one we saw a picture of

#78056 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

I wish HEB would post the information online for these foods! It would be nice to have a review.

#78058 Report Abuse
    chris

Lorraine C- That’s exactly correct. A lot of companies say there food is produced in the USA, however that does not mean there ingredients used are from outside the USA.

#78071 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The product can’t be reviewed without a website with complete info. Their website also said to not rely solely on the provided info and that the info on the website and info on the actual product packaging may be different.

#79789 Report Abuse
    rebecca s

We have used specialty delivered to the house, specialty stores and brands, Nutro, Royal Canin, Blue, Eukanuba, you name it. We are always looking for a lower protein percentage and overall healthy version for our aging bulldogs and adult peke. The HEB brand has been chosen as a favorite by our older bulldog who loved Royal Canin for Bulldogs. It is made here (Texas) and the benefits have exceeded our expectations. Their preferred us the lamb and rice, but have had the chicken and chickpeas and love it. Their bodies are utilizing more of the food than the other brands, as noted by decreased stools.
    We just can’t seem to get it in the extra large bags.
    A great product!

#80739 Report Abuse
    HammockLover

I just adopted a second dog yesterday and the shelter switched over to this food (they used to use Science Diet). I got really excited at the prospect of saving some money and the convenience of getting it at the grocery store (currently I use Merrick Grain Free) so the first thing I did was come on here to see if it was reviewed.

While it isn’t reviewed, I just got done going through the ingredient list to at least see which ones are controversial and thought I should share here:

***I couldn’t find info on the following ingredients: Dicalcium Phosphate, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Manganous Oxide, L-Carnitine***

Spray Dried Egg Product – Cheap protein filler, a by-product remaining after making liquid eggs for humans.

Tomato Pomace – Cheap fiber filler, a by-product remaining after processing tomatoes into juice, soup and ketchup

Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex – A controversial form of vitamin K linked to liver toxicity, allergies and the abnormal break-down of red blood cells.

The last one is what concerns me, so I plan on sticking with Merrick. I apologize if I missed any, this was just me looking at about 15 dog food reviews here and cross referencing the ingredients.

#80863 Report Abuse
    Gina T
    #80998 Report Abuse
    Z B

Up until a few months ago HEB carried a grain free canned store brand called DaLeash, rated 5 star here on DFA:
    /dog-food-reviews/daleash-dog-food/

DaLeash Chicken & Veggies CANNED:
    Ingredients: Chicken, beef broth, chicken broth, liver, beef, dried egg whites, dried egg product, potatoes, potato starch, carrots, peas, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, dried beet pulp, salt, guar gum, sodium phosphate, potassium chloride, sodium carbonate, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid), minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, sodium selenite, manganese sulfate, potassium iodide), choline chloride

When DaLeash was discontinued, Heritage Ranch showed up on the shelves at HEB. Seems pretty much the same recipe:

Heritage Ranch Chicken and Veggies CANNED
    Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Beef Broth, Chicken Liver, Dried Egg Whites, Potato Starch, Dried Egg Product, Carrots, Peas, Natural Flavor, Flaxseed Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Salt, Guar Gum, Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Carbonate, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Dā€‘Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), Choline Chloride.

I used DaLeash regularly in my rotation until it was discontinued, now using Heritage Ranch. Canned versions only, so I can’t comment on the dry. The price is good at $1 a can, less if you buy the 12 pack. No complaints here. I feed a combo of homemade and rotate affordable canned foods like this one, Pure Balance and 4Health.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Z B.
    #81333 Report Abuse
    Kim E

I bought the salmon and chickpea for my 6 month old puppy. I was feeding him natural balance kangaroo and sweet potato due to his skin allergies. The NB dog food stopped his itching with in 3 days! Great right? But what’s not is the $22 for 4 lb. It lasted him about a 1 week and a half to 2 weeks if I remember correctly. The size were about half an inch in diameter for “puppies to adult”. I went to visit my parents who live town with no petco and ran out of NB. I went to heb and saw grain free heritage ranch 6lb bag for 8$ I was a little skeptical. But I thought worse case scenario I just pick up a bag of NB when I’m near a petco (which is what I was already planning on doing. Gave my pup a cup and he started eating right way. They are 1/4th the size of NB food, which I feel like is way more suitable for a puppy. It seems to be working for his allergies as he is not scratching or biting his feet constantly. So for me this is great because it’s less than half the price f NB, I get more product, and my dog loves it. I will add that I tried the HR with lamb and brown rice which is soy/wheat and corn free. This does cause my puppy to scratch against the carpet for about 1-5 minutes after eating. I believe this is because this formula does contain grain. We will be sticking to HR salmon and chickpea but if your dog isn’t alergic to grain I’m sure the lamb formula would be just fine

#82967 Report Abuse
    Robyn B

Just tried this because we needed to switch to canned temporarily due to a couple of teeth being extracted. Only 3 days feeding and poop was very loose and lots of smelly farts. Changed to his usual (blue buff grain free) soaked in water to soften and poop back to normal. Label looks good but something not adding up. Too inexpensive to be as good as the label claims. Nutritional label looks almost identical to much higher priced premium brands. I don’t trust it.

#83129 Report Abuse
    Norma V

My little ones love the Heritage Ranch salmon and chickpea recipe and the Heritage Ranch treats. My malti-poo has very very sensitive skin and throws up easily. My little Yorker isn’t AS sensitive. I saw this dog food when they were out of their more expensive name brand food and I thought I’d try it. They seem to do well on grain free and salmon foods. I’m so glad we tried this dog food. They love it and absolutely no skin problems. No unusual poop or stomach issues. Thanks HEB for making a healthy and much more affordable healthy dog food! Treats are great also.

#88091 Report Abuse
    N v

I’m concerned about this brand. I saw the labeling on the package– “grain free, no artificial colors or flavors”–and thought I’d give this a try. However, it wasn’t long before we noticed my border collie mix developed soft stools and to go outside several times a night. We introduced it slowly, mixing it in with her previous dog food to give her body a chance to adjust to it, but now that she’s exclusively eating this brand only, she’s had nothing but problems. She became lethargic and stopped eating completely. I took her to the vet who said she’s fine and attributed her lethargy to summer heat. I’ve decided to stop using this brand and return to her previous food but I’m concerned because another reader posted similar symptoms for their dog. I agree that something’s just not right with this.

#91051 Report Abuse
    Melissa M

Hi guys,
    I am a vet tech, jack russel rescue, dog foster home, canine transporter and pet nanny as well as canine/feline weight coach. I have tried various foods from dog gut napalm (alpo) to Science Diet, Eukanuba, Merrick etc. One dogs liked, others did not. Some picked through some gobbled it all. Then I was asked by client about HR. We gave it a shot. Winner winner chicken dinner!
    I have all my dogs and clients dogs on it. I am so pleased. Poop is awesome, coats shiny, less shedding, just look great and energy at great levels. Over all I’m pleased. First dog food with empty bowls. (All of them)
    We have one dog with weight issues who has been on SD METABOLIC. I switched to HR healthy weight…weight loss on schedule.
    I have now put cats on feline version.
    I would like to state that those with loose stools…just like with humans some foods don’t agree with some people. No food will agree with EVERY dog. I have had dogs go on Eukanuba and get loose poop, same with many other foods. But I don’t accuse brand. I realize it just that food doesn’t match up with that dog.
    Also NEVER use guideline on back of back. Use as a starting point. Adjust to your own dog.
    I have no affiliation with HEB other than shopping there.
    I just like sharing info and my education.

#91089 Report Abuse
    Lisa B

I started my dog on HR last month. He has always been a thin, small dog. He loves the HR dog food and treats. He has gained weighted/filled out, poops less, etc. I’m very pleased. šŸ™‚

#92177 Report Abuse
    Kevin I

My Pitbull, Tank has been eating HR Salmon and Chick Pea formula, since it was introduced. I have had numerous people stop their vehicles and comment on how great he looks and what a great coat he has. When asked what I feed him, I tell them, HR Salmon and Chick Pea formula. Tank loves it and he cleans his bowl on a daily basis.

#94806 Report Abuse
    Shana L

I came here looking for reviews on hr as well because I’ve been feeding it to my dog for about two years. I could never get him at the right weight he should be. He was always a little under and never wanted to eat his food. As soon as I switched to hr, he immediately every time I put his bowl down and within a couple months was tight where he should be weight wise. So I’m hoping nothing to negative comes out about this food because it’s been perfect for my dog!!

#94880 Report Abuse
    M F

My dogs both love Heritage Ranch Salmon and chick pea formula. I personally think it makes their breath stink but this is the first grain free dog food that I have given them that sustains the weight of two very active dogs. Our two Kerrs will eat the other formula’s but they really seem to love the Salmon over the rest. I would just warn anybody who is new to try it about the smell.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.