šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    khriva
    Participant

Wondering if you could provide guidelines regarding choosing a probiotic? Any recommendations?

New to this forum; is there a search feature?

Thanks!

#23438 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Regarding probiotics, alot of us use Dr Stephen Langers that we order online from Swanson vitamins. Not sure about a search, if we have one, I don’t know about it!

#23444 Report Abuse
    khriva
    Participant

I read somewhere ?? that human probitotic products are not the best choice for dogs. People here seem to have chosen a human product over a product specifically for animals. Could you give me information on that?

In addition, my small dog is pregnant.

#23445 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Human supplements are much more regulated than animal ones.

#23448 Report Abuse
    khriva
    Participant

That makes sense! Is this product available in any retail locations..like health food stores; I’ve just read an article by Dr. Jean Dodds that has me excited about getting started with some of her ideas.

Thank you!

#23449 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

If you mean dr Stephen langers probiotic, I get it from Swanson Vitamins

#23461 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

So far there is one known probiotic that is different between dogs and humans. The other 15 known ones are the same. It’s just that their gut conditions support different colony sizes, so a human probiotic may have more of one type of probiotic than another because humans should have more of that particular probiotic. It may be that dogs don’t support large populations of that particular one, but do of a different one. If you found dog probiotics that you knew actually took that into account and they guaranteed the number of colony forming units of the particular probiotics and they had a large selection of the different strains, then it would be worth the extra money to buy dog probiotics, which BTW should be different than cat probiotics if they are really taking all of that into consideration. So far, even the best pet probiotics that I have found have lumped all animals together with the same formula, just different amounts. So my standard is to buy only probiotics that have at least 9 different strains, but over 12 is STRONGLY preferred.

#23494 Report Abuse
    khriva
    Participant

This is a great explanation!

You say “So far there is one known probiotic that is different between dogs and humans”…could you tell me which one that is? Does it matter which product you choose as long as there are sufficient different strains? I have a pregnant girl having intestinal issues and last night I picked up a 12 strain product from the local health food store. ??

I found that it was Dr. Dodds who recommended “probiotic targeted specifically to your petā€™s species” here:

https://www.tumblr.com/drjeandoddspethealthresource/52173102898/probiotics-pets

Trying to learn about this subject!

#23512 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Unfortunately I had all my bookmarks wiped out but there was someone who posted a link to a study that was done of many top pet probiotic brands and it was found that many didn’t have the number of cfu’s that the package claimed or as many strains as was claimed. I’d be careful with pet products. I personally just give my dogs kefir every day and raw green tripe a few days a week rather than spending money on supplements.

#23517 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I don’t remember which one it is, I’ve just read the list and the study that came with it, but other than to say it’s out there, I don’t know where. I didn’t lose my bookmarks, I just don’t know anything about them in the first place. I’m google challenged, but I’m learning so if I come across it again, I’ll post it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.