Green beef tripe?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Green beef tripe?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    NectarMom

My dogs are getting very bored with the ground Rabbit and 2 of them will not touch it anymore so I bought some young beef, green tripe and white fish or something like that so I am wondering since green tripe is so low in fat ( from My Pet Carnivore) can I feed that as a whole meal? They also would not touch the young ground beef so I am having to give it away to a friend. I wish I could find something similar to Darwin’s but not with such high fat and so much veggies. We also tried the Canine Caviar Venison dry and honestly I don’t think it has enough protein for my crew. My short coat Chihuahua started having more coat loss, not bald spots but just more shedding than normal and the itching hasn’t stopped but gotten worse. One of my long coated Chihuahuas was digging at her legs when on Brothers Turkey and egg and she hasn’t stopped yet and the insides of her legs are blood raw 🙁

#21466 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Ehh…I’m really not sure that the green tripe from MPC is as low in fat as they state it is. I’m VERY skeptical. Green tripe is known to be high fat. If you convert the fat and protein values listed for their green tripe to a dry matter basis they add up to 110% – not possible, so something is obviously off. If you go to greentripe(dot)com they list the general analysis of tripe as being 13.33% protein and 12.75% fat – this equates to 48% protein and 46% fat – this is on par with the analyses of most other products I’ve seen and fed.

#21468 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I did look at greentripe.com and I wondered. I am honestly getting frustrated with most Companies out there. Seriously why do they lie about the fat content? I am getting tired of wasting money and most of all putting my dogs through misery that should be avoided but who are we suppose to believe? I do not know which way to turn anymore when feeding my dogs.

Thanks once again HDM. Hopefully the tripe will not effect the one that ate it but she only ate a tablespoon full since it was still a bit frozen but now I am scared to feed it anymore.

#21533 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I just found out that the differences in certain tripes is how the animal is fed. Being it cattle or Bison…etc. some grass feed only and then others feed grains which in result makes a fatty cow..etc, makes perfect sense to me.

#21534 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Yes – fat will vary based on how the animal is fed. However, that still doesn’t explain why the fat and protein levels in their green tripe total over 100% – something is off. I also don’t think a grass fed cow would have nearly half the fat of a non-grass fed cow. The total fat difference wouldn’t be that significant. Tripett’s beef tripe is free range/grass fed and it’s 35% fat.

#21563 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

For what amount? I have been mixing 1 tablespoon of the tripe in with their ground Rabbit and it actually is making them eat all their meals. I do not want them to get Pancreatitis again so should I stop giving them the Tripe?

#21564 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The MPC Young Beef Green Tripe MAY be lower fat because it is made from 1-7 day old calves that would have much lower body fat. That still doesn’t explain the numbers not adding up though.

#21576 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I wont even bother calling MPC because the one guy I spoke to last time couldn’t give me any answers about much. Guess my dogs either eat the rabbit by itself or they go hungry.

#24893 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Is tripe considered muscle or organ meat?

#24895 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Muscle meat, though it is an organ and it did secrete something. The muscle in it is regular muscle, otherwise it is supplying fat, probiotics, digestive juices(acids), some digestive enzymes, and some broken down greens. For organs, you are looking for the ones that have those hormones, enzymes, and micronutrients that aren’t found anywhere else.

#24897 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Great! Just checking. I used it as muscle meat in my last batch of raw.

#24971 Report Abuse
    PrincessPiper
    Participant

Is the XKALIBER from GreenTripe.com considered balanced and can be fed alone as a meal? It states that it’s for young dogs…is 1 year old still considered young or is it going to be too much fat for her? She is a rescue dog that was being fed bird seed so when I got her she was very thin. The vet told me to give her some canned puppy food to try and put some weight on her but she didn’t do well with the high fat content. She absolutely hated doggy kibble and stopped eating the canned dog food so I started homecooking for her while researching raw. I have since started the transition to raw, which she is doing very well on, but the balancing portion of raw feeding has me horribly confused. :/ I’m one of those that needs to have the exact measurements.

#24980 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Tripe has a high fat content. I would feed with caution if your dog has had a problem with high fat before. For an easy homemade raw (while your taking the time for alot of research) there are some premixed you could use like Urban Wolf, The Honest Kitchen, Grandma Lucy’s. You generally just add meat and oil. I just used CarnivoreRaw (from Young Again Pet Food) on my last batch of raw. It has vitamins, minerals, etc.

#24999 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi PrincessPiper –

XCaliber isn’t a balanced food but could safely be fed for a few meals a week if being fed in conjunction with a balanced diet. As long as the fat level doesn’t cause loose stools and she isn’t prone to pancreatitis it should bother her. I’d recommend checking out Steve Brown’s book “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet” if you’re interested in making homemade raw meals – it contains easy to make, AAFCO compliant recipes.

#65218 Report Abuse
    GSDMom

I’m so confused. I emailed GT and asked them about their Xkaliber, they claim its complete because of the ground bone. I’ve heard different opinions about it being complete. My dog loves it and it’s the only raw he’ll reliably eat. GT doesn’t have a nutrition analysis on it yet, but they’ve said they’re working on it.

#65220 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

GT told me that Xkaliber has a max of 1% bone so that in itself wouldn’t be enough to make a complete and balanced diet.

#65272 Report Abuse
    GSDMom

Thank you pugmomsandy, I appreciate that. They never told me that. I’ve had a hard time getting information from them.

#86001 Report Abuse
    william C

Anyone looking for Green Tripe in Southern California visit http://www.happeedawg.com. Just wanted to share that info, took me awhile to find this great product for dogs Rawnation.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.