šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kat F
    Participant

I currently feed purina pro plan sensitive stomach salmon formula. It has worked the best so far…tried other foods, pumpkin, home cooked beef and rice.

My question is do I feed for a great dane or sensitive stomach? Do probiotics actually help with loose stool? Would changing to a large breed formula with probiotics be better?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by Kat F.
    #156444 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

Hi Kat,

Sorry you are going through this with your Great Dane šŸ™

Probiotics are essential to support your dog’s digestive tract and immune system, however the extreme heat that kibble and canned food must undergo guarantees no live microbes would survive. So please donā€™t waste money buying pet food that claims to include probiotics for dogs. The process of manufacturing pet food is simply too extreme for delicate living microbes to survive.

Itā€™s best to do your research and look for a high quality probiotic supplement. We use an organic probiotic supplement, GutSense that was specifically formulated to match the intestinal microflora of dogs (it is also dairy free and includes prebiotics).

GutSenseĀ®

During times of acute digestive upset it is recommend to double the dose, and this has always worked for our dog along with a home-prepared diet. I have included a few other articles below that Dr. Dobias has written about digestion that may be helpful:

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11015037-11-steps-to-treat-acute-or-bloody-diarrhea-naturally

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11015049-the-surprising-link-between-diarrhea-back-injuries-and-too-much-exercise

I hope this is helpful for your Great Dane. Wishing you both the best in good health! šŸ™‚

#156457 Report Abuse
    Marnie C
    Participant

Iā€™m no expert but my parents have an Airedale that also has a sensitive stomach. She had loose stool all of the time. My mom started giving her probiotics and the problem stopped.

When my dogs get diarrhea or have loose stools, canned pumpkin does the trick.

Good luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.