šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Judy G

I am considering a switch from Primal to Stella & Chewy’s. However, I find it somewhat suspicious that they call their beef “grass-fed” when it is next to impossible to find grass-fed beef for humans.

Does anyone know anything about the sourcing of grass-fed beef?

#66900 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I don’t know anything about their sourcing but we buy grass fed meat at local farms; it isn’t next to impossible for me.

#66901 Report Abuse
    Judy G

Thanks for the reply, InkedMarie. I am a shut-in and have to rely on a friend to shop for me. I ask her to go to Whole Foods for my meat, and they have quit carrying grass-fed beef. So, for me, it’s next to impossible!

I suppose I should contact S&C for a reply rather than just speculate. It’s hard to believe that they could be getting the amount of beef they need for mass production from a local farm, though. Unless it was a really big farm! : -)

#66906 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Our nearest Whole Foods is 1:15 away; we were there last month, all they had is grass fd meat. Hope they don;t change up here. Do you have any local farms?

#66907 Report Abuse
    Judy G

Heck, I live in Texas, so we’ve got lots of farms & ranches. But very few feed grass. And I don’t know how I could ask my friend to drive that far… Thanks for the info on the grass-fed meat at your Whole Foods. I’m most definitely going to inquire about mine just giving up on it! Where do y’all live?

#66932 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve seen grass fed at Sprouts Farmers Market stores as well.

#66934 Report Abuse
    Judy G

OK, then. Thanks for the tip… I can check the one near my house that’s getting ready to fold! Maybe I can stock up before they lock it up.

#66964 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m in New Hampshire!

#66980 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I grew my own grass fed beef. I’ve read that dog food companies can get grass fed beef because there are cuts that people don’t want if they are paying that much for beef. Also, if it doesn’t sell by it’s “sell by date,” it can go in dog food.

#67013 Report Abuse
    Judy G

Thanks, BCnut. Do you think the grass-fed beef is safe if it’s past its sell-by date? I’ve heard that some products are OK even a week after, but I don’t know much about the beef.

#67021 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, they are, especially since they are processed immediately and frozen or cooked, depending on which type of food they are going into. The sell by date is still giving the consumer time to take it home, leave it in the fridge for a couple days, then prepare it. It’s not an expiration date.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.