🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone have any insight into Grandma Lucy’s dog food? A co-worker gave me a sample and so far I have read positive things.

#11819 Report Abuse

Hi eles7-

I use the GL chicken Pureformance and the dogs love it. It does have a very strong garlic smell to it, which some people do not like. As well, a few of my dogs seem to have a problem digesting the carrots in it, but it has not caused a huge issue for most. I use it either solo or as a topper to offer variety on a rotating basis.

#11843 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I haven’t tried it but I want to,

#12197 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I just ordered the chicken GL PureFormance for my new gal, hope it works well.

#12248 Report Abuse
    nicci10681
    Participant

I LOVE this company! I feed my 2 Dachshunds the Chicken Artisan, they love it and I feel good knowing that they are getting some of the best food out there. I’ve also tried several of the treats, the lil bear cookies in several flavors, and the dogs love them, I’ve even tried them myself and they are quite yummy!! lol. I really love that I can read and know every ingredient in them! Everything is human grade. I’ve worked in the pet industry for over 13 years (grooming and obedience training) and I’ve really taken to educating myself on dog nutrition, it’s a passion of mine, if for no other reason than because I want the very best for my babies, no matter the cost! I’ve been through so many foods, but have time and again been disappointed when they were bought out by a bigger company and lowered their quality standards. I can only pray that this doesn’t happen to Grandma Lucy’s and that they stay true to who they are and what they do! I would HIGHLY recommend their food!!

#12251 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hey Nicci, no comment on the GL but you said you’re a groomer…do you have a recommendation for a corded trimmer? Not clippers but a trimmer, to use for pads of feet?

#12253 Report Abuse

Inked Marie-

I generally use my regular clippers with a 40 blade for the toes/feet..but, I also have a small Wahl trimmer(cordless-runs on double A’s) Its small, and you hold it like a pen, comes with one fixed size blade.(I bought a second blade for it) I use it for the very small feet, as well as for dogs who are sensitive to sound to trim the insides of ears-its very quiet. It was like $20 or so, and I have now had it for 10 yrs-and I have yet to change the blade. For small areas, light use such as feet etc, it was a great deal.

#12259 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Thanks Melissa! We sometimes bathe Boone because he fits in the sink but no one else. I have a nice pair of newish scissors but I cant’ use them on Boone. He hates having anything done to his feet and a little trimmer works.

#12264 Report Abuse
    nicci10681
    Participant

Inked,

I use a 30 on feet, but you have to be very careful because you can knick the skin around the toes/pads. There are several small feet trimmers, and for the most part they all work pretty well, some last longer than others, some are cordless. I have a rechargeable Oster that I really like because I can use it cordlessly or if I forgot to charge it, it works plugged in as well.

Always remember to let the blade do the work, you should never have to force or push the blade, that’s when you cut a dog! If you are using the right blade and it’s sharp and in good repair, it should cut like a hot knife through butter!! 🙂

#12266 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I only need a trimmer, not clippers. Looking at the Wahl Brav mini and the Wahl Pet Detailer. Also ordering some Chris Christensen Ice on Ice for her coat!

#12278 Report Abuse

Inked-

Love the Chris Christensen products, including the pin brushes. Mine have lasted for years w/out loosing their pins. For a great conditioner, I use either Coat Handler(can be left in and works great to loosen mats) or Tomlyn Nova Pearl creme rinse. I know some do not like soaps with “scents” but I personally like my dogs to smell like they just came from the groomer : )

#12655 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I feed Grandma Lucy’s Artisan and Pureformance. I LOVE these foods, but I’m confused as to how cooked they are. It would be nice if GL’s website could be more clear on which ingredients are raw – if any – and how processed others are.

Anyways, Pureformance uses peas and no potatoes and might have slightly more protein. The lack of potatoes is what makes me use it more than Artisan but I sitll gladly use Artisan. The dogs love both. What I like is the consistency after hydration is strong and firm and ‘blob’-like, so the dogs can suck it up very well without having to lick the bowl and get their noses dirty. This is in comparison to The Honest Kitchen, which my dogs get extremely dirty faces as they try to lick the mush up.

Compared to the prices of similar foods, Grandma Lucy’s is a good choice.

#14305 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

Grandma Lucy’s is a really affordable choice. My dog ate it for a long time. But he’s picky so he stopped eating it. So I mixed it in with some other dog food and he ate it then. I buy the Pureformance. The rabbit is very glutinous so it sticks to dogs really bad. The other flavors are better. I definitely recommend it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.