Grandma Lucy's Meatballs

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Treats Grandma Lucy's Meatballs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    aquariangt

Hey-has anyone else tried these? I’m curious if I got a bad bag or if this is how they always are.

They were like a bag of little rocks! I couldn’t break them, and it was like watching the girls try to chew a rock. They seemed to think they tasted good, but it took a long time, and they really had to work-not in a good chew type way either.

#68539 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Nope, I’ve never heard of them!

#68544 Report Abuse
    Dori

Grandma Lucy’s makes meatballs? Like Marie said, never heard of them. Huh? I’m gonna check it out.

#68720 Report Abuse
    Naturella

@aquariangt, are you talking about the treats? The Tiny Tidbits treats look like meatballs, although they are not called that. I didn’t see anything titled “Meatballs” on the Grandma Lucy’s website. Maybe they are supposed to be rehydrated like the food? IDK…

***EDIT*** – They do call them “Snack-Size Meatball Treats for Dogs”. But yeah, I’ve never used them, and if they are treats, they shouldn’t NEED to be rehydrated, but maybe it will help if they’re that hard…? And then you could mush them up and stuff them in something, and freeze them instead of giving as a treat? Just an idea.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Naturella.
    #68723 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Is one of these the product:

http://www.grandmalucys.com/product/tiny-tidbits-cheeseburgers/
    http://www.grandmalucys.com/product/pot-roast/

I definitely wouldn’t have expected them to be hard. I’ve never tried them before. Talk about a choking hazard.

#68725 Report Abuse
    Dori

D. O. I think he’s referring to the “cheeseburgers”. In their description on line somewhere they described them as snack size meatball treats. When I looked at the site I thought of them as being crunchy since they’re freeze dried but I can certainly see them as a choking hazard for larger dogs them mine. They look about the size of Vital Essential Freeze Dried Beef food. I’ve never fed Grandma Lucy’s treats so don’t really know anything about them other than what’s on Grandma Lucy’s site.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Dori.
    • This reply was modified 9 years ago by Dori.
    #68729 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Yes, it’s the potroast ones, I saw meatball on the bag and apparently that stuck. I’ve used tons of freeze dried treats and never had ones that are this hard so that’s why I was wondering if I got a bad bag. I’ve never used anything from GL before either. Size wise they would be great if they weren’t so dang hard. I swear every treat I get when trying to get to my $49 from Chewy when it’s something I haven’t tried ends up in the garbage, haha!

Have any of you tried the Vital Essentials Tripe Treats? I was eying those for my next order

#68730 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I’ve used the VE tripe treats. The dogs love ’em. There are gobs in a big bag, too. Most are pretty well sized, but some are scrawny.

#68731 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

@naturella I may test that out and see if it works so I don’t have to waste the whole bag, and stuff it in a monster mouth or something. I’ve used exactly 4 treats out of the bag

@DogFoodie I may try those next. I usually keep 1 freeze dried and 1 chewy treat (let’s be honest, I usually have quickies and some others around too…) so I like freeze dried, and don’t mind breaking up big ones, my hands are used to be being gross after training anyway 🙂

#68732 Report Abuse
    Dori

I use the Vital Essential Tripe treats for the girls. If you’ve ever used Vital Essential Freeze Dried food (they only make it in beef), then just to let you know that their tripe treats are much smaller in size and they are hard and crunchy like the food, not soft. I can hear them crunch as the girls eat them. It’s my only way of getting some tripe into their systems. They LOVE them. As DogFoodie said, there are a lot in the bag and they do vary a little in size.

#68734 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Yeah, I don’t mind a bit of crunch, those meatball things were just over the top. With your recommendations, hopefully that will be a filler to my order that won’t end up in the trash 😉

#68736 Report Abuse
    Dori

And on your recommendation I won’t buy the Grandma Lucy’s meatball type treats. They’d probably crack some of my tiny girls teeth. They should put some sort of a warning on those things or at least mention it on the site.

#68755 Report Abuse
    Naturella

@aquariangt, let me know how it works when they are rehydrated/moistened! I am curious! 🙂 Good luck!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.