šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    William D

I am looking for a high quality grain free Large Breed Puppy food. Any suggestions?

#69049 Report Abuse
    Kristin S

If you aren’t worry about budget, go with Orijen or Wellness Core. We choose a cheaper route with Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food and we like it.
    https://www.petflow.com/product/fromm/fromm-gold-holistic-large-breed-puppy-dry-dog-food

#69051 Report Abuse
    Lori E

I have been doing a lot of research on Acana which is manufactured by Champion Pet Foods in Canada and who also produces Orijen. I have my 5 yr rottie and shepherd doing food rotations between the Grasslands and Duck and am seeing some hopeful results due to their allergies. Its only been 3 weeks but so far so good. My local pet supplier also recommended Go from Petcurean. If you go to their website you can get a coupon for a free trial bag. This is my next trial.

Hope this helps.

#69052 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi William,

It’s important to feed a large breed puppy a food with an appropriate level of Calcium. Here’s a list, which includes grain inclusive, grain free and raw, acceptable foods: https://docs.google.com/a/dogfoodadvisor.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk/edit?pli=1

If you haven’t already, take a look at this thread, especially the first few pages and read the articles that Hound Dog Mom shared: /forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

In addition to appropriate Calicum levels, you should keep your pup lean during growth and avoid over-exercising him, which can stress growing joints.

How old is your pup and what breed?

#69053 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I think when I last checked, Orijen’s calcium levels were too high for a large breed-I may be wrong, but definitely click the links DogFoodie linked, that will get you started in the right direction

#69068 Report Abuse
    Diana B

Orijen Large breed puppy: Oliver, now 2, thrived on it! Leo, now 7 mos., did not do well on it. So we fed Fromm’s Gold Large Breed Puppy and have now transitioned him to their NEW Fromm’s Prairie Gold Large Breed GRAIN FREE puppy! So now, both dogs eat Fromm’s Grain Free line and we love it.

#69071 Report Abuse
    Kristin S

Diana B- how long do you giver your pups puppy food? Until what age? We are on the Fromm. Thanks!

#69074 Report Abuse
    Diana B

Kristin-every time I research that question, I find so many answers. I think it depends on the size of your dog, how large they will be as an adult. Smaller dog breeds mature quicker and can be on puppy food for shorter periods of time. I have heard Giant breeds should stay on puppy up to 18 mos. Since I feed the smaller end of “Large Breeds”-Golden Retrievers, I think about switching around a year. Oliver was a little over 1 when I transitioned to adult food.

I know that puppy food has different nutrients and is usually more calorie dense so weight gain and more can be a concern. One source said when they reach their adult height, (about a year for my Goldies, and then they fill out) is a good time to transition.

There are many more knowledgeable folks on this forum, so I know they will have more input! What kind of pup are you feeding?

#69081 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

There are only two AAFCO nutrient profiles for dog food; they are: growth and reproduction; and maintenance. Foods labeled “puppy” are growth and reproduction foods. Foods labeled “all life stages” are also growth and reproduction foods. Growth and reproduction foods generally have a higher standard of nutrition. Foods that don’t meet the growth and reproduction profile may still be allowed to be labeled adult maintenance. Growth and reproduction foods frequently have more protein and yes, they’re often more calorie dense. Just monitor the portion control.

I feed my adult dogs growth and reproduction foods, including those labeled for “puppies” or “all life stages” exclusively. I feed them a variety of kibble, canned and fresh whole foods. I rotate brands, proteins and binders after each bag of kibble. I buy smaller bags that my dogs will finish within a couple of weeks to avoid rancid days as much as possible.

#69084 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The rule of thumb is to leave them on puppy food until they are 80-85% of their expected adult weight, or longer. There is no age when you must be off of puppy food.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.