Grain Free Dog Food 2

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Grain Free Dog Food 2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jo B
    Participant

Why would I want or not want my dog to have grain free dog food? I’ve read that grains are an important part of nutrition. I have a 4 yo Goldendoodle, 62#, and want to find a new food for him to eat. He seems uninterested in his current food unless I add toppers/canned food to the meal. Help, please.

#183212 Report Abuse
    Caroline A
    Participant

I have been feeding my dog Primal Dehydrated Raw Beef nuggets for over 5 years. However, I notice that your rating has changed from 4.5 to 2. Why was this changed or is it an error? The company said it was the same formula. Please advise as I depend upon your ratings.
    Thank you very much.

#183235 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

I’ve been feeding Primal Freeze Dried for many years. My starting point in choosing the brand and then the proteins/flavors was star ratings by DFA. I know I never fed the beef because of lower star ratings. I believe too much fat to protein ratio. I don’t believe the change was recent since I come to site often to see if any of the brands/proteins changed ratings. I notice in most brands of freeze dried the beef is always rated low.
    I think Primal freeze Dried Turkey/Sardine should be lowered. I have fed this for years. Had to keep taking back bags to my pet supply store because dogs threw up and then noticed the odd smell. Pet supply store said many bags have come back because it smells like chemicals or gasoline.
    I believe Vital Essentials freeze dried has a 5* reviews for their beef . Hope this helps.

#183350 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

In my opinion, you do NOT want to feed your dog grain free dog food. A few years back the FDA sent out an alert that there may be a link between grain-free diets and a diagnosis of dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM). It was first noticed in Golden Retrievers. It was found that DCM was reversed when the grain free diet was discontinued.

I feed my lab/golden mix dogs Purina One. It has the shredded bits. They seem to keep them more interested. They really like it and are doing great on it.

There are several articles and FB pages about the issue.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/grain-free-dog-food-bad-or-good/

Good luck to you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.