đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer R

So one of my dogs apparently has a sensitive stomach. If we give her anything but grain-free she gets diarrhea. But I have some concerns with the grain-free diet problems that are coming up. We even tried sensitive stomach formula and it didn’t help. Any suggestions?

#142473 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Have you considered Nutrisource https://nutrisourcepetfoods.com/dog-food/adult/4
    My friend’s dog is doing well on it. She switched from Zignature due to the grain-free scare. Her dog has a sensitive stomach.

Sorry, the first link didn’t work but I corrected it.

#142476 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Jennifer did you switch food VERY slowly. By slowly I mean when you have 1/4 left of kibble you add a FEW kibbles of the new brand. Maybe even for a few weeks until she is used to the new food. My dogs’ always had loose stools when first introducing a new food too quickly.

#142479 Report Abuse
    joanne l

What brand are you feeding? And what brands gave your dog diarrhea?

#142482 Report Abuse
    Jennifer R

Currently on Pro Plan Focus with some diarrhea. Last one was American Journey Limited Ingredient Beef and that gave them diarrhea, but the fish one was fine.

#142497 Report Abuse
    malinda r
    Participant

my dog has a sensitive stomach, and I feel this might be due to extensive antibiotics and fast kill heartworm method. when I adopted him he had advanced heartworm…and the year following treatment he had stomach issues that seemed to meet the criteria for colitis.
    3 years later and he is doing very well, occasional flare ups that usually coincide with medication/vaccinations and sometimes just stress. (the 4th of july for instance!!)
    he has done well on fromm, he liked pork and applesauce…he does well on Carna4 chicken, Stella&chewys chicken, health extension lamb canned. I have noticed when his diarrhea starts if I limit dry food and use more toppers, freeze dried, canned, and home cooked foods he usually returns to normal within a day or two. kibble is convenient but seems hard for our dog to digest when his stomach is distressed.

i noticed he did poorly on foods higher in beet, chicory root, exotic meats.

#142498 Report Abuse
    joanne l

If the pro plan focus was chicken, it maybe that they can’t handle chicken. Did you try pro plan lamb?

#142510 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Jennifer, sounds like to me it is a chicken problem not a grain. I just looked at the ingredients in the American Journey beef formula and it has chicken as the second ingredient. And if chicken is what you got in the pro plan focus, it just might be chicken. When you were feeding grain free what animal protein was in there?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.