🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ajchavis

Do you know of any good brand can dog food that doesn’t have soy products in it..dry too for that matter and treats? My dog is allergic to soy in any form and it is so hard to find retail products that omit soy. Ajchavis

#33211 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Most 5-star brands do not have soy.

Canned food:
    /dog-food-reviews/wet/5-star/

Dry food:
    /dog-food-reviews/dry/5-star/

#33212 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

GizmoMom is right – almost every 5 star food leaves out soy. Many 3-4 star foods do as well. Hopefully your pooch isn’t intolerant to any other ingredients, as allergy-prone pooches are bummers 🙁

#33254 Report Abuse
    Ajchavis

Thanks for the replies, I will go on-line and research where I can find 5 star foods in my area..:)

#33258 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

If you’re getting canned food, be sure to take good care of those teeth with regular brushing 😉 Even though my girl had kibble and regular bones, the time I skipped brushing her teeth was the time she got a nasty infection and needed the tooth pulled 🙁

#33312 Report Abuse
    Ajchavis

Shasta 220
    I agree that is the best thing to do, but my pet will not allow me to put my finger or brush in his mouth..I do give him treats that help clean his teeth but I don’t know that it works very well. I bought a spray that is supposed to dissolve plaque but it was a constant battle. He is 14 years old now, thinking about having vet clean his teeth with a sleeping aid.

#33313 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Aj: I just read an article on brushing a dogs teeth. Use a soft child’s toothbrush or soft adult brush if a big dog. No toothpaste, just water. Put the brush on the inside of the cheek, close dogs mouth by gently holding muzzle. Slide brush back & forth. This gets upper teeth. For lower, slightly open mouth and do bottoms. No need to do front. After, “treat” dog to dog toothpaste off your finger. They’ll still get the enzymes.

#33321 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Aj, I wondered if it might be a problem to get a brush in there, some dogs are a but tougher to do. I would advise having the vet do a dental. It’s a bit spendy, but we had our senior lab’s teeth cleaned, and it was incredible! When she gave us kisses, there was ZERO odor to it! Plus, if you can get at least one dental cleaning in, it’ll be WAY easier to stay on top of dental care with sprays/additives/chews/etc. I also know many people who add a spoonful of organic coconut oil to the food, it is very good for oral health.

Best wishes to you and your furry friend! What breed is your dog? 🙂

#33322 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

*some dogs are a BIT tougher, not but. (Autocorrect…)

#33323 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

@InkedMarie: that is a good method, yes, but one of my dogs absolutely DESPISES the taste of any dog toothpastes, so I have to brush his teeth w the paste. Sometimes I just use tartar gel, dog mouthwash, sprays, etc on the brush. I’m soooo glad all of my dogs learned to hold still for it, lol! They all hate having their teeth brushed,but they know they’re obeying me and know they’ll get some kisses and a treat afterwards.

#33332 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Shasta: you don’t have to ever brush your dogs teeth. You can use real bones which do the same job.

#33344 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Bones do an amazing job, yes, but I will always brush my dogs’ teeth. Cassy had chews/bones her whole life, but I didn’t brush her teeth enough and she needed one pulled. Then our cat is on the raw diet, so she consumes whole bones daily, and she got an infected tooth at age 5.

Certainly though, if brushing is difficult to do, then bones make a close second for good dental care 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.