🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kathy k

My four year old, seventy pound Goldendoodle has a very sensitive stomach. Perhaps once or twice a month he won’t eat with audible “pings” and sounds from his stomach. Often remedied with Pepto-bismol, occasionally need to go to chicken
    and rice. Haven’t noticed any improvement with different foods including non-grain. I’m thinking of look at probiotics. Any ideas?

• This topic was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by kathy k.
    #53971 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Look for a probiotic with soil based organisms and as many different strains as you can find. Also, consider adding digestive enzymes to his food. Some dogs just don’t produce enough of them.

#53990 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Kathy, those noises are from his bowel its gases going thru the bowel, it can be painful.. When I first got Patch 23months ago, he was having the gurgling & rumbling noises every 10-15 days early hours of the morning… I took him to vet & vet said Colitis, then vet said Colitis/IBD cause if he ate something different he’d do very soft to sloppy poos, He was put on a Vet prescription diet Eukanuba Intestinal low residue 10% fat, I also feed him the Wellness Simple Lamb & Oatmeal kibble for breakfast & lunch, but for dinner night feed I feed the Eukanuba Intestinal just incase, he’s been good this last year but a few times when I’ve feed him boiled chicken & pumkin for dinner, we were up early hours of the morning (3-4am) with his bowel gurgling & rumbling, all he wants to do is eat grass, I make him 1 piece of toast (white bread) & thinly spread salmon & lobster paste & the noises stop & we go back to bed,
    Patch is on a dog probiotic has been for over 1 year since the vet said Colitis/IBD.. I dont know if the dog probiotic has helped but I ran out of his probiotic the other month for 3-4 days & his poos were softer & left a poo mark on the grass, so I went & got more of his probiotic.. I mix a level teaspoon with 15ml water in his bowl & he loves it.. I give inbetween feeds in the morning..if you do get a dog probiotic only give half the dose for the first week then increase to proper dose..
    But I know feeding him his low fat Eukanuba Intestinal at night has stopped all the gurgling noises so far & he wants to eat his breakfast in the morning, where before he didnt want to eat when his bowel was pinging & gurgling that morning.. I can hear him if I’m in my room & he’s in the loungeroom, poor things..
    Try a limited ingredient lower fat kibble, I don’t feed the grainfrees kibbles, most of them have potato & the kibble is harder when they have potato plus Patch can’t eat potatos he gets a itchy rash on his chest then has diarrhea.. I also soak his kibble in water for about 3 mins then drain the water & put kibble on a paper towel & pat dry then put 1/4 cup in his bowl let him eat, then I put another 1/4 of kibble in his bowl, he’s a gulper so I slow his eating down a bit & the Wellness Simple Lamb & Oatmeal fat-12% & Simple Duck & Oatmeal fat-11% softens easy when I soak in water, so does his Eukanuna Intestinal, so if he has gulped & hasnt chewed his kibble they are softer & easier to digest…

#54008 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

You might try BIG DOG NATURAL !! It has Tripe and Fermented vegetables in it and is very digestible. Can read about it on our discussion board. Dogs love it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.