Golden Retriever with Acid Reflux

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Golden Retriever with Acid Reflux

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Garry D

Our golden boy Connor went to the vet this week for coughing/gagging and hard swallowing symptoms. They did an abdominal ultrasound and found nothing scary. They also performed a fluoroscopy (esophagram) and found that he had some esophageal dysmotility with dry kibble. They feel that the acid reflux is what caused the dysmotility. So he’s on Prilosec for the reflux, canned food so that his esophagus has time to heal and FortiFlora probiotic to help with diarrhea and stomach issues. We were given cans of Science Diet i/d to help with digestion. Science Diet i/d is quite expensive and I’m wondering if anyone here can recommend a good canned food that isn’t so expensive? Also, are there other home remedies or supplements that we can try to help with the acid reflux? The Prilosec seems to work but I think it’s also the reason he has diarrhea. Thanks in advance.

#84578 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Have you tried soaking the kibble in water overnight in the fridg?

You may find some helpful information here: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/
    And here: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/herbs-and-supplements/

Did the vet do a chest x-ray? When my dog had symptoms similar to what you describe, it turns out she had tumors (mets to the lungs).
    Golden Retrievers are #1 on the list for developing cancer..

#84579 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Has your dog had a chest x-ray? Mets to the lungs? Golden Retrievers are #1 for developing cancer.
    Check The SkeptVet blogs , nutrition, herbs, supplements…..I was unable to post the link.

#84580 Report Abuse
    Garry D

That’s an odd and unnecessarily scary reply given the information I put in my post. I’ve had two goldens succumb to cancer. In Connor’s case that is not the issue, at least yet. He’s 7 years old and his chest x-ray and abdominal ultrasound were both unremarkable. It’s all about food, acid reflux, esophageal motility and probiotics.

#84582 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Sorry, didn’t mean to alarm anyone. But, I had a corgi that had never been sick a day in her life. At 9 1/2 years presented with a mild cough and poor appetite….Hemangiosarcoma. No treatment options.
    So. I no longer take subtle changes lightly.

PS: See what others suggest. Best of luck.

#84584 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Garry D-
    Sorry to hear about your dog’s condition, but glad it is something that can heal over time. There are lots of great canned dog foods on the review side of this site. I’m not sure which would be best for a dog with your pup’s situation. I’d probably stick with the vet food until his throat is healed before transitioning to a new one.
    I stick to budget friendly canned foods to use as toppers for my lab/retriever dogs. Mostly Costco’s Nature’s Domain canned, Tractor Supply’s 4 Health canned and Walmart’s Pure Balance canned food. Occasionally, I will buy the Variety Stew canned foods that are at Target and/or Walmart or others if on a good sale.
    Fingers crossed for a fast recovery!! 🙂

#84597 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Sufficient water in the food helps. Many dogs get acid reflux because the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach doesn’t close completely if the dog isn’t producing ENOUGH acid. Acid production is affected by water in the meal. For my dog, adding water and apple cider vinegar(raw with the mother) to his meals stopped his acid reflux within 24 hours. The only time he has ever had issues again was when I accidently fed him something he has a food sensitivity too. And by the way this works for people too. I drink a slug of dill pickle juice and my acid reflux is gone.

#84625 Report Abuse
    Cindy S

I’m on my 3rd golden retriever. Never heard of acid reflux in them but I give her 1tsp of apple cider vinegar (raw, organic-with the “mother”) morning and night in her dry food that has added canned food or chicken or scrambled eggs or sardines plus some greens from the garden, and some kefir or yogurt (probiotics great for digestive system), then add cold water (she isn’t picky) or bone broth to the mix. The vinegar seems to keep her flea free, good for skin, helps her ears, etc.

#84626 Report Abuse
    Cindy S

Garry D – you also might want to look into bone broth, check out this video by vet, Dr. Beckerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O25ksfyvoeo, it can be healing and then a great addition to their diet. Also, while expensive, the Honest Kitchen makes great products.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.