Gluten free food for dog w/ UTI problems

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Gluten free food for dog w/ UTI problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    polkadott

HELP! I have a 14 yr old Jack Russell that cannot eat gluten(wheat), but is also having re-occuring UTI’s. My vet told me to find a high protein food without oxalates, much veggies or dairy. She was on Blue-Grain-free. Vet said it’s bad stuff, (and actually, I had a bad experience with consistency-My dog became ill after starting a new bag…Had to return it.) Then I tried Hill’s Grain Free Ideal Balance…Turkey flavor, and she’s also tried the salmon, but I’m not sure if it will be just as bad as the turkey reoccurring Urinary Tract Infections. Anyone tried Royal Canin Vet SO Dry food? It does have corn gluten in it. Any suggestions as my vet seems clueless. 🙁

#30339 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Brother’s Complete, Orijen, Nature’s Variety Instinct,Evo.

#30411 Report Abuse
    polkadott

Thanks Patty! I think I’m going to give Evo, or Orijen a try…I noticed there was a recall on the first, but will make sure the date of manufacture is not within that recall. 🙂 Deb

#30656 Report Abuse
    KaiRyssdog

Hello,

I just joined so I could find a food for my new dog. He had a recent UTI when I got him and he was on Royal Canin Urinary SO Lite formula. He seemed to be doing fine and when I went to get another bag, the vet’s office gave me the “Moderate” formula by mistake. The bags look the same and so I didn’t double check. He’s been on this new formula for a couple days and has broken out in itchy hives all over his back and even on his nose, poor guy. I’m going to go in tomorrow to get a new bag and in the meantime feed him some brown rice and chicken.

In my searches so far I haven’t been able to find info on this formula – anyone have feedback on what might be in it vs. the Lite formula that would make him have such a reaction? I’d like to know what I should stay away from in any other foods that I try.

Thanks!

#30657 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Keep/copy the ingredient list and compare it to the food you were using. Allergic reactions like that usually get worse over time until they are life threatening so you need to do the extra work to find out what the problem ingredient is, so you can avoid it like the plague.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.