German Shepherd Diet Help

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition German Shepherd Diet Help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Cameron P

Hello Guys!

I am very picky about what I allow my German Shepherd Puppy eat! My sister feeds her two chocolate labs “Good Friends” which is bought at Rural King. I always check here to see reviews before I switch foods, but he always eats it at her house and he will be staying with her for a little bit while I’m finishing my last year of college. He’s almost 6 months and his current food is Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy. He doesn’t eat much, but he eats it eventually. I’m not too concerned since he’s a healthy looking pup and doesn’t get overfed! However, if anyone knows anything about this “Good Friends” puppy food, I would greatly appreciate some feed back!

German Shepherd Owner 🙂

#51572 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Hi Cameron, I definitely wouldn’t use Good Friends dog food. I didn’t see the ingredients on the site, but with a price of $11.99 for 40lbs, there’s no way it can be a good food. Maybe you could talk your sister into buying something higher quality? I don’t know what her budget is, but if she could spend a little more (maybe you could throw some in) she could get a lot better food. Here’s the site I found for Good Friends- http://www.ruralking.com/pet-supplies/pet-food/dog-dry-food/good-friends-dog-food-kennel-kruncher-40-lb-182666-40.html There are lots of good dog foods that won’t break the bank. I have great luck with Victor. I pay just under $40 for 30lbs of grain free. Their grain inclusive formulas are even cheaper. You can check them out here. http://www.midamericapetfood.com/victordogfood/dogfood.html They have a store locator for stores in your area. There are lots of other budget friendly foods too. Rachael Ray Zero Grain, Pure Balance, and 4health, are good quality too. What stores do you have near you? Do you have Tractor Supply, Costco, Walmart, Petco, Petsmart?

#51574 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Here is the ingredient list for Good Friends dog food:
    Wheat middlings, ground yellow corn, soybean meal, meat and bone meal, animal fat, salt, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, niacin, copper sulfate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, managanous oxide, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfate coplex, riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, calcium lodate, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate.

Crude protein: %18 Crude fat: %6 Crude Fiber: %6 Moisture: %12

Definitely NOT a good dog food!!

#51575 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Cameron, by looking at the ingredient list I posted above, if I were you, I would INSIST that your sister does not feed that food to your dog, or even her dogs for that matter. Take a look at some of the 1 star foods over on the review side and find one that has “wheat middlings” and read what that is. Also read what “meat and bone meal” is. Trust me, you do not want to feed those things to your pet if you want it to live a long and healthy life, which I’m sure you do.

Labs gave you some great suggestions for budget friendly foods. I would switch as soon as possible to a better food.

#51577 Report Abuse
    Cameron P

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I didn’t think it was a Good product, which is why I checked here! Currently he’s on Diamond Naturals, which I believe on here is a 4 star. Is that safe to keep him on or should I switch from that to victor or something else? I’m in Columbus, so I have lots of options around me!

#51578 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Well, I can tell you that no one on here would recommend any Diamond products because of the recalls they’ve had. It may be a good food, but…. I think you’d be safe with Victor. It’s definitely a great food and many of the kibble feeders on here feed it in their rotation. Maybe you could get your sister to switch too?

Good for you for checking out your dog’s food. This site has been a godsend to me and a real eyeopener! Good luck with your pup! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.