šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jamie08
    Participant

I have a heeler mix who has always had issues with smelly gas… well it is more of an issue for me! lol. He had been on Iams for a long time and he would have it every once in awhile, especially after he would catch and eat a squirrel (his version of a partial raw diet). He’d clear a room pretty fast. Then I switched him to Evolve dry food, which he really didn’t like very much and wasn’t eating well. He’s now on Whole Earth Farms dry food and has BAD smelly gas. He’s been on it for about 2 weeks. I tried to slowly transition him over, but he would just not eat the Evolve, since he was barely eating it anyway- so it was pretty much a fast transition over to the WEF. The gas seems to be getting worse. Should I give him longer to get used to the food, or at this point is it safe to say that this food is contributing to the smell? I hate to change it because he absolutely LOVES this food (gets so excited when I feed him) and it’s affordable. Also, my other dog is doing really well on it.

Any suggestions? Give him more time? I’m also open to other food suggestions, but please try to keep them in the same price range as Whole Earth Farms.

Oh yeah, squirrels aren’t really out right now so they aren’t a contributing factor at the moment. šŸ™‚

#26915 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

He is not producing enough enzymes to properly digest protein. Digestive enzymes and probiotics will help.

#26920 Report Abuse
    Jamie08
    Participant

I had been thinking of trying that. He also sheds a lot (even though I always get comments on how soft, etc. his coat is- he leaves too much of it on my bed!) and I know a lot of people have had experiences with enzymes reducing that.

Also, I wonder if the fact that he loves the food so much is indirectly part of the issue because he is eating so fast. Maybe needing to slow down is part of the issue, he’s also swallowing a bunch of air? And turning it into something super stinky…

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Jamie08.
    #26924 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Try pouring his food out on to a cookie sheet. He will have to pick up individual pieces that way. Or you can try putting it in a muffin tin so he has to reach into the wells and fish the food out. Gas coming out the back end is rarely from what they swallow, but eating that fast is still not healthy.

#26926 Report Abuse
    Jamie08
    Participant

Thanks! I figured it wasn’t the main cause, but probably wasn’t helping…

#26928 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It can upset the stomach which can lead to other issues, so definitely not helping.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.