🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    LuckyLab

Hey guys,

Have a 14 week old yellow lab and he’s been on Fromm Large Breed for almost 2 months now. He’s had ongoing issues with diarrhea and loose stools. Our vet believes it could potentially be the food and for the most part the dog has a great appetite, drinks water well, high energy and seems healthy/happy.

Like most vets they are suggesting either hills or Royal Canin. I’m no nutritionist but looking at Royal Canin the first few ingredients seem cheap and low quality for such a pricey food. What am i missing here? Something else we should give a look at?

Thanks!

#103864 Report Abuse
    Lora J

Hi there, I have 3 Aussies and I feed them Fromn 4star nutritionals grain free. I have found that Fromm chicken gives one of them loose stools. I switches to the beef frittata veg and it cleared right up. Hope that helps!

#103865 Report Abuse
    LuckyLab

What about Wellness Large Breed (Complete Health)?

#103972 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Get two separate fecal tests done, one for Giardia and one for Clostridium Difficile.

Then do a test panel for food intolerances and allergies. I used Glacier Peak Holistics (saved my dogs’ lives).

While you wait for these results, (fast him for 8 hrs) then feed your dog a formula from Zignature dog food, #1 for sensitive tummies. Worry about your large breed needs after you know what ingredients to which he’s intolerant.

Dogs go into dehydration mode immediately after the first bout of diarrhea, so if it’s been on going, he may need a fluid IV treatment at the vet. Diarrhea is not normal, so when it occurs, you need to backtrack on everything your pup consumed.

#103973 Report Abuse
    Nadine H

My danes, one in particular can’t handle any of Fromms. Very loose stool. We’re now trying the Canidae turkey and brown rice for large breeds, als. The food issue is about to do me in, I’ve read way to much and the more I read the more I wonder if I’m feeding the right thing to my dane pups. Sorry to be so graphic but scraping poo out of the grass is not fun.

#104024 Report Abuse
    a c

I feel the same way. The more I read the more I don’t know if I am feeding them the right food. Too much conflicting information out there.

I was gong to try Fromm, but I decided not to because all the bad reviews out there. I already trying to get them off Orijen due to the bad report from the Clean Project report.

In the end, they all are process food even the raw diet. Is one really better than the other?

#104026 Report Abuse
    Nadine H

The clean project report? I’ve not heard of that. I need to look it up. Curious what they say about Orijon. We don’t have luck with grain free at all.

#104027 Report Abuse
    Nadine H

I have wondered about the wellness, cs is great and I’ve read good things about that food

#104029 Report Abuse
    a c

It’s CleanLabelProject.org report. Sorry. Orijen received one star out of five.

#104032 Report Abuse
    Nadine H

I found it, really interesting. Interesting that all the purina brands that they listed were five stars. Also the wellness complete health was five stars. Canidae didnt do very well. We just tried the turkey and it didnt work out. My concern now is you can buy one of the expensive brands thinking you’re getting a very good food and looks like thats not the case at all.

#104047 Report Abuse
    a c

Exactly. It looks like many that we can get from the grocery stores scored very well. Purity but not so good in ingredients. Many of the expensive brands have good ingredients but are more likely to be containmented. What a hard choice!:)

#104048 Report Abuse
    Nadine H

Well I for one am done searching. We’re going with Purina Pro Choice Large Breed Puppy. I have spent a fortune trying different foods that I thought were the best, now I read about this. Orijon is one of the most expensive foods that you can buy and now I wouldn’t feed it along with several others that are suppose to be the best.

#104058 Report Abuse
    LuckyLab

The stools are on and off loose. More soft serve then true diarheea. We’ve had his stools tested and he’s clear from that end. Its so strange he’ll be fine 2-3 days (solid stools) then bam, loose and frequent. I know our vet has said they see more issues from Fromm in regards to it being rich for sensitive tummies.

As you’ve all said, with so much conflicting information out there its hard to know whats right. We are going to stick with the Fromm for another week and cut out all extra training treats and things to see if we can’t identify it as a problem with those.

#104421 Report Abuse
    Scott L

I have a 14 week old Rottweiler with some formed and soft stools. The breeder started him on Wellness Core Puppy and we have continued that. Today our vet recommended Purina Pro Plan. Nadine, how is your pup doing on the Purina Pro Choice Large Breed?

#104425 Report Abuse
    Nadine H

MY guys are doing really well on the pro plan. I have them on the large breed puppy. They’ll be on that until 18-24 months and then we’ll switch to adult.

#104757 Report Abuse
    Eric N

Our 6 month old small standard poodle pup is just now starting to have loose stools from the Fromm puppy Gold. Seems crazy. Now I’m on the hunt for a new better puppy food. 🙁

#104760 Report Abuse
    Nadine H

I have two gerat dane pups and have tried many foods over the past year. The only one that they have done great on is Purina pro plan focus. I stayed away even though my vet recommended it. Kept reading the ingredients and thought no way. Finally gave it a shot and the first time since I’ve had them I’m not scraping poo out of the grass. The have shiny coats and tons of energy. People probably wonder why I keep raving about this food, I’m just so amazed at how well it’s working out and it’s actually affordable, we go through three 34 lbs bags a month so thats a real plus.

#104765 Report Abuse
    Scott L

Nadine – I’m about ready to give Pro Plan a try. Did you slowly transition? How long were you feeding the Pro Plan before you no longer had to scrap the poo?

#104769 Report Abuse
    Nadine H

I did a pretty quick transition, started with a forth of the new for a few days and then half and half for a few days and then all pro plan.
    Stool firmed up very quickly. I pick up the yard at least twice a day and can’t tell you how glad I am that I can just pick it up without getting the hose etc. Let alone the the other benefits I’m seeing with my two.

#105388 Report Abuse
    Eric N

We switched our puppy to Wellness Core Puppy and the stool has gotten much more firm. I tried everything else thinking it was not the Fromm food, but I think it was.

#105401 Report Abuse
    shawn b

My Rotti does better on the Pro Plan…but what about all the corn, corn gluten meal, and animal by-products etc. etc. I hate to feed her these ingredients. Are some of you saying these ingredients aren’t that bad?

#105403 Report Abuse
    Eric N

You should look at the food ingredient comments posted by the author of this website and decide for yourself.

#105404 Report Abuse
    Scott L

I had to put my Rottie puppy on Pro plan also. It is the only . Food that he has good poop from. Hopefully I will be able to switch him to something better after his system settles down from months of digestive issues and runny poop.

#105452 Report Abuse
    LuckyLab

Wanted to update everyone. We kept him on the Fromm after talking to the vet. He’s settled in and is doing great on the Fromm. His coat is beautiful and he’s filling out great. Stools have hardened up and look much better.

Going to keep him on it unless we start to have problems again buy hoping it was just a puppy phase, new environment, etc.

Don’t love the look of Fromm adult as much so will need to find a new adult food for him but we have some time before that decision has to be made.

How long should we keep him on the puppy fromm? Till he’s one or older?

#105453 Report Abuse
    Nadine H

How long did it take for him to do better on the Fromms? I would ask the vet how long to keep him on it. Is he on the Large breed Puppy?
    Anytime we tried a new food I would take them right off if I saw loose poop. I wonder if I took them off quicker then I should have.

#105829 Report Abuse
    Gina H

Hi, I have a Great Dane pup who has loose stools on Fromm as well. I am wondering what any Dane owners found to work for a firmer stool? And yes, the dog food world is overwhelming! I have read more than I ever dreamed I needed to and have lost sleep over what to feed my growing puppy.

#105831 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Gina H-
    Have you had any fecal tests done? Specifically for worms, giardia and/or coccidia. These are all common for pups to have. They all can cause loose stools and intermittent diarrhea. Are you feeding the large breed puppy formula? Have you tried any other foods yet?

#105832 Report Abuse
    Gina H

I did have two fecal samples tested two weeks apart from each other. All negative. He is on metronidazole and it helped what was diarrhea. He’s also on Fortaflora and I have added pumpkin to his food. Right now, he is only on the Fromm Large Breed Adult. My breeder is adamant against anything labeled “puppy”. I have noticed that the ingredients are pretty much the same.

He was on Pro Plan Focus when I brought him home. He had very loose stools on that. And I was not happy with the ingredients.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Gina H.
    #105855 Report Abuse
    Nadine H

You might try one of the Victor formula’s. Many feed the Beef and Brown rice. Calcium and phos levels are good for a dane puppy.if you decide to look for another food.

#105984 Report Abuse
    Gina H

I will likely keep him on Fromm for now. He’s thriving. He looks great, has energy and is doing well. So if his poop is soft for now, I will be at peace with it. I would rather not switch food at this time. I will wait and see. I am still open to hearing from those who have switched from Fromm to other foods with solid poop success!

Thanks for all the help folks!

Gina

#107834 Report Abuse
    Thomas K

Never used From puppy food but have been feeding my lab Fromm Whitefish and Potato for the last 7 years and have never had any problems. Have used several different kinds of Fromm and have never had a problem

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.