🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kristy O

I’ve been reading (through online research sites and here) good things about the Fromm weight loss dog food (Gold, Gold Coast, and Four Star Weight Management) but I haven’t yet tried one of them…I’m leaning toward one of the 2 Gold choices right now. I have a female, spayed German Shorthaired Pointer (GSP), about 9 years old who is tremendously overweight. I volunteer for the Illinois Shorthair Rescues and she came to us as a foster dog from a kill shelter. She was with us for one day and became ours forever. 🙂 She’s so sweet, but I’m thinking she was likely a puppy mill dog – at the very least a backyard breeder/breeder dog. It’s obvious she has had several litters of pups. She should weigh between 50-60 pounds and definitely not over 70, but she’s over 80 lbs. 🙁 In all fairness, she came to us overweight, with heartworm and multiple other problems, so it’s been difficult to work too much on her weight loss; however, she’s now heartworm free and we’re working diligently to get the weight off. We run her every morning on a nearby farm (as far as she can tolerate – also has hip problems) and have cut back on her food to approx. 2 cups/day and a couple treats in between. We currently feed Exclusive, which works well for our other GSP (she has Addison’s Disease). As a matter of fact, I believe that food really helped to save her life when she was diagnosed years ago. I digress. Sorry. I’m thinking about trying the Fromm for both of them now. Has anybody else tried their products? Would be happy to hear if you have. The weight management products ARE on the list of Editor’s Choice at 4 Stars, so it must be pretty good. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks!

#88797 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I have no experience in those foods but my research has led me to believe that a grainfree weight loss food is best. Grains are inflammatory so a grainfree may help there. A number of years back, we adopted a dog who should have weighed about 25lb but weighed 43.7!

I used Wellness Core’s reduced fat with great success; I suggest trying that or Annamaet Lean. Feed a little less than what the bag recommends. Be very mindful of anything else she eats.Skip treats and try a couple baby carrots as a treat if you need to use treats.

#88815 Report Abuse
    Kristy O

Thanks so much, InkedMarie! 🙂 I decided to stay with the brand we have been using – Exclusive, but switched to the Weight Loss version. It’s also grain-free and since she’s used to the formula, it shouldn’t be too hard for her to adjust. Thanks again for you comments.

#88817 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hope you see results, Kristy!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.