šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    frenchielove
    Participant

Hi…I will soon be the mom of a French Bulldog. She turns 8 weeks in several days. I’ve heard so many things about grain-free foods, among other things, and I’m so confused!! I want to give my Frenchie the best food possible, especially since this breed is prone to skin issues/allergies. Any suggestions??? Thank you so much!!!

#19078 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Definitely go grain free. Print up the 4 and 5 star lists and take them with you to all the pet boutiques around and see what is available. When you know what is available pick a few of them to try and rotate through them. No food is perfect so rotating between a few of them helps to make sure they get a good variety of nutrients. Keep a list of what she does well on as well as what she doesn’t do well on. Pay attention to the ingredients/protein sources of any foods she doesn’t do well on and then you’ll have an idea of any food sensitivities. Try small bags to start out with so you don’t have a major investment in a food that she doesn’t do well on and always ask if they have samples of foods you are interested in.

#19080 Report Abuse
    frenchielove
    Participant

Thank you for the advice. I saw the lists…I can’t believe how many are on there!! If anyone, especially Frenchie/bulldog owners, have any suggestions…please let meknow. Thanks again Patty!!

#19088 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

There are a few with pugs on here. They would be more aware of things like kibble size.

And as far as how many different foods are on the lists, I have found that only a very small number of them are actually available in any given area, of course if you read about one that you really want to try, you can always order online.

#19159 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’d get the food that the pup was weaned on and then start transitioning a short while later after she gets acclimated to her new environment. Sometimes the stress of going to a new home and a whole new routine is enough to stress them out and give them GI issues and you won’t know if it’s the new food or just stress. Get some probiotics and start her on that to help strengthen her gut/immune system before changing foods. You might also want to get a colostrum supplement. I thought my dogs did fine with regular foods but noticed improvement when I introduced grain free foods and even had more improvement with grain free/potato free foods. They are now odor free/yeast free/ear infection free (which alot of pugs are prone to). I feed anywhere from 30% protein to 60% in kibble and also feed raw, and canned foods and freeze dried foods. Just find a couple foods that work well for her and switch it up every now and then. You can even rotate with every feed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.