šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    theBCnut

I’m looking at getting another freezer. I’m interested in anyones pros and cons about type and size. So far I am thinking of getting a 13.7 cu.ft. upright freezer, but I could go with a 15 cu.ft. chest. What size do you have vs how much do you feed? What are the good and bad points of the freezer you have? Thanks in advance.

#16776 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

For any upright freezer I would consider how many shelves it has and are they adjustable or removeable incase I needed to put in custom racks. The one shelf I have that has about 100 lbs on it seems to be just slightly bulging downward and the sides of the rack aren’t very far into the sides of the freezer so I think it has the possibility of falling down. But you know, I have way too much food! The bones take up alot of space since they’re not anywhere near being uniform in shape.

#16778 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The upright that I’m looking at has 3 wire shelves that are removable and adjustable. The bottom one over the basket/drawer is the only one that looks strong enough for a really huge load. It also has 5 or 6 shelves in the door that are deep enough and tall enough for My Pet Carnivore’s 2 lbs containers, 4 to a shelf I think. It boobles my ming to think how much Hare Today would fit in there, or that I could have a whole shelf just for Darwin’s.

The reason I suddenly started seriously looking is that a friend mentioned that they need to clear their freezer of last years deer meat. They are going to send it my way and my freezer is full of the goat we just had done.

#16779 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I found mine at 40% off because it had the front digital panel replaced and might have had a scratch. There’s always some frig/freezers/chest freezers that are marked down due to some surface defect at the store. You just have to go by and look every so often. You know you’re just gonna (I’m Texan) have to get a grinder next!!

#16780 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I would go upright. I’ve got 2 upright and a chest and the chest freezer is just a pain, it’s harder to find things and get to things that are way on the bottom. I think organizing food is easier with the shelves in an upright. Right now I’ve got a few different things in all the freezers but I think when I get my next shipment I’m going to use one upright for commercial raw/Hare Today chubs, the other upright for poultry RMB’s/misc. meats and just use the chest freezer for pork necks because they take up so much space and if I know there’s only one thing in the chest freezer I won’t have to dig through it.

#16782 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Steal one of Sandys?
    Lol. Upright for sure.

#16784 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

He-He! Has anyone signed up on the carnivorefeed-supply yahoo group? Can’t believe there are so many products available. Surely one of them delivers to your states? My group down here even gets food from Ohio (I think) delivered. Medford Meats?

#16785 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m on the yahoo group down here, but I haven’t ordered through them yet. They are limited on when you can pick up and where I have to go is 2 hours away. They just started delivering to my area intermittantly. I haven’t a clue what their schedule is. They have one mix that the lady that heads it up makes, that sounds really good for old dogs, lots of groung chicken feet.

I have a chest freezer and I’m leaning towards the upright, because of how much of a pain it is when you want something that you know is near the bottom. Right now, I have 50 lbs of goat on top and all of my Darwin’s, MPC, and Hare Today are buried. There is very little room for human food at all and it is BADLY in need of a defrost.

#16787 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Defrosting – yuk! Make sure your upright is frost free!

#16789 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That’s the number one reason I’ve been favoring an upright. All of them that I’ve found are frost free. They use about twice as much electricity as a chest, but I think it may be worth it to not have to defrost.

#16838 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

I just got myself a GE chest freezer. A little 7cu feet one. I have a small apartment at the moment and eventually will be living in a 43′ camper trailer so keeping a large or upright is more difficult. The one complaint I have about the chest freezer is exactly that, you have to dig to get to things. It’s not so bad in this little freezer as I keep everything in tubs and sort them as well as possible so if I wanted to get to something I just pull out a tub or a couple tubs to get to the bottom. But with larger cuts of meat and a larger freezer I’m not quite sure this would work as well.

As for the manual defrost I just check mine whenever I open it for build up and use a car window scraper for ice and frost to get it off. it cuts back on how many times you have to defrost (my dad used to do this same thing). If you are getting lots of buildup I would say to check your seals, they could be bad or just old and worn out. I don’t believe they are difficult to replace.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 12 months ago by DieselJunki.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 12 months ago by DieselJunki.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.