🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nancy M

I have very recently acquired from my daughter, an 8 month old mini Aussie, who is currently about 20+ lbs. She has been on Diamond puppy formula, dry, since 8 weeks of age. Not being a Diamond fan, and not willing or able to go with the RAW, I am looking for suggestions as to a more healthy and favorable dog food for her. I have always used the premium brands with my previous dogs, hoping to offer much better nutrition than the run of the mill, grocery store brands, but there have become so many choices, I have no idea where to start to switch this girl over. Being an energy, performance type of breed, opposed to my more calm, laid back lifestyle, I do not wish to feed a formula that will create more energy. Truthfully, I’m not sure she will be happy with or acceptable, of a more sedentary life with me, but rather than allow her to be given off to a stranger, I am just trying to give it my best and see if it can work. I’m not sure this is going to do her justice, but time will tell.

In the meantime, I want something substantially better for her than Diamond. Suggestions, please. My first inclination would be TOTW, but depending on what her system may accept and thrive on, I could be on a trial and error rollercoaster. I thought all of this was behind me for a good while, until I lost my beloved Sheltie a couple weeks ago and now trying to give this pup a new home. Now it starts all over again. Whoopy!

Looking for input soon, so I can try to get started. Thanks much to all!

Nancy

#52749 Report Abuse
    Sarah Y

TOTW is a good formula. I think that would work. With that said, I don’t know the circumstances, but it sounds as though your daughter is not able to care for the puppy. I admire that you are willing to give it a try. You are correct about aussies. They have tons of energy regardless of the food you buy. They need exercise and there are different things you can do: walks, dog park, agility. For a puppy, you have to worry they will bore easily and when a dog is bored, they can become destructive.

Hopefully you can find ways to match your lifestyle while taking care of his needs. Good luck to you!

#52750 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

FYI, TOTW is Diamond’s house brand.

I haven’t had a puppy in a while and the brand of food I fed my current dog as a puppy I wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole due to possible quality control issues and their lack of transparency in regards to customer inquiries. I am sure other posters will have plenty of info to share with you; in the meantime a good place to start is either with the Editor’s Choice selections (if you are a member), or checking out the 4 or 5 star foods on DFA. As you receive recommendations you can begin to narrow down your choices. Good luck with your new pup!

#52751 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Oh boy, you have taken on quite a commitment! But, it sounds like you already know what you are in for. The funny thing about your suggestion of Taste of the Wild is that it is also manufactured by Diamond. I am not as anti-Diamond as many on this site because I live in the NW and have not been affected by the recalls. Most people that feed this food have great results. However, if you are avoiding Diamond, TotW is not the food for you!
    Go to the review side of this site and print off the list of the best puppy foods and take it to the pet store, feed store or boutique with you and see what they have and fits in your budget. I am a believer of adding variety to a pups diet. I like to add canned food, eggs and/or sardines to my dog’s meals to help bump up the nutrition of the kibble.
    Please keep us informed of your new pup’s progress. Congrats!

#52760 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

Thanks to all of you that have responded to my call for assistance. I really appreciate your thoughts and experience on the subject. For starters, yes, I have a pretty good idea what is in store for me with this pup, but all I can do is try. She is one of two Aussies that my daughter had gotten, pretty close together. It didn’t take long for her to realize that even though it’s tough sometimes to raise two puppies together, it can end up being quite a horrible experience, when you have two of these kind together…..they turned out being companions, yes, but also partners in crime. On a very big farm, with a lot of room to run and play, you’d think they would have plenty to do to stay occupied. Apparently not; they both got into a game of their own, which was “search and destroy”! If I were younger, I would really love to pursue the agility again. With a different Sheltie I had, I just loved it and so did She. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. The one I have is really the better of the two, in my opinion. We are starting some obedience classes tonight, so I’m hoping that will help us both. Had I been asked to take the other one, the male, I would have not just said No, but H— No! He’s an absolute lunatic! No joke! At least this one is lovable, more quiet and much more receptive. So we’ll see. If it doesn’t work, she’ll have to resume her search for a new home.

Anyway……getting back to the food, I had totally forgotten about the association between Diamond and TOTW! So, that’s out of my possible choices. I’ve gone through this agonizing and consuming process quite a bit over the years with my dogs and just cringe when I think about all the facts to consider and decisions to make….again. And now, there are so many more to choose from.

I’ll just take my time and do the best I can. In the meantime, thanks again!

Nancy M

#52761 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Nancy:
    Diamond manufactures quite a few foods for other companies as well. The company that makes the puppy formula that I fed my dog is one that uses them; they also will not disclose what formulas Diamond makes for them. At the time I never knew about companies using co-packers so I may or may not have fed a Diamond manufactured product to my current dog. For that reason and possible quality control issues now I would never feed or recommend the brand again.

It’s hard to keep up with what company owns their own manufacturing facilities and who hires co-packers. I live in a region that is likely supplied by the questionable SC Diamond facility so I have not intentionally bought any of their products since 2007. Good luck and check back in if you need any more help! 🙂

#52762 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Nancy-
    I can so relate to the two puppy story. We got two golden lab male litter mates about three years ago. So many people have told us that having two dogs is great! However, two puppies at the same time is not so great! Lab puppies are hyper and destructive also. And you are right, they become partners in crime. The good one always ends up following the naughty one. We did keep them both, but did think about re-homing one of them at about 6 to 8 months. They are three years old now and have settled down a lot. But, still have one naughty one! They are best friends, but completely jealous of each other. Good luck finding the perfect food. Which, BTW, doesn’t exist. Rotating two or three almost perfect foods works out too!

#52794 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

Thanks Bobby dog……I appreciate the info and your experience. And yes, I think I’m going to steer clear of Diamond foods altogether. But it’s a crazy “food world” out there. Unless you spend a lot of time, and then even if you do, the choices are endless and the pros and cons of them all, are just mind boggling! I think I’m going to go with the Chicken Soup Puppy and see how that does. It sounds like a very good food, I can get it close-by and I think it’s probably a big improvement over the Diamond.

So thanks again!
    Nancy M

#52795 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

CRAZY4CATS:

Thanks very much for your reply. It was very nice hearing your story. And I agree. It takes a certain kind of person/family to raise two pups together, along with a lot of time, organization and strategy. I think more often than not, it’s almost impossible to meet both of their individual needs and it seems that one or the other is at least a bit “shorted” from it. This little girl, after being around both dogs at my daughters for so long, almost seems like a totally different animal here with me. Much more calm and relaxed, still very loving, but probably a bit reserved because she’s a little depressed and out of her element. Of course, the chaos of working adults and two energetic children, probably contributed to her anxiety and lack of time with her humans. But time will tell…….congratulations for making it through a very tough time.

Thanks much,
    Nancy M

#52796 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Nancy M:
    I hate to be the one to break the news, but Chicken Soup is another Diamond house brand. However, if you are interested in Chicken Soup canned varieties I believe they are co-packed by Simmons. 😉

#52797 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

I can’t believe this, I was just getting back on site, when your message came through. And yes! I just realized this! So scratch that! Doggone it, thought I had found a good one! Thanks for the prompt reply to make sure I knew! I appreciate it. Is there anything they don’t have their hands in? Gee whiz, back to the drawing board.

Thanks!
    Nancy

#52798 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

LOL, Diamond foods look great IMO, and they are everywhere, but I just can’t bring myself to feed it after being caught up in an earlier re-call of theirs.

I happen to be on-line looking for some low carb, GF, and potato free canned food options for my dog who is a little itchy for some reason right now. I am having flash-backs to his terrible time with yeasty/flea dermatitis skin. Don’t know if it’s yeast making a come back, but I am not taking any chances for his sake! 🙂

#52799 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Nancy-Are you a member of Editor’s Choice here? None of the brands there are Diamond made. I feed a pretty rotational diet myself, a few brands that I recommend that are NOT diamond associated: Fromm (I use 4star, and grain free mostly, just not for my pea intolerant girl), Earthborn (again, I like grain free of theirs), Acana/Orijen, Simply Nourish Source, and if you are interested in the dehydrated route, The Honest Kitchen. Victor is also a top food recommended on here, but I haven’t tried it myself-hard to find here

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.