Food Recommendation

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Food Recommendation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Darien P

Hi,

I am getting a lab puppy on sunday. I have everything all planned except for the nutrition aspect (very important). I planned on feeding the puppy fromm large breed food. However, the breeder had him on it previously and stated that it was too rich, causing him really bad diarrhea and vomiting. The breeder currently has him on Purina Pro Plan Focus. However, I would love to put him on a better quality food. I have been looking in to Wellness Complete (Large Breed), and taste of the wild,but I am still unsure. Any suggestions?

#103394 Report Abuse
    anonymous
    #103398 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Darien-

Consider keeping him on Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy. Despite what folks on the internet say about Purina they have poured millions of dollars into researching the growth patterns and nutritional needs of large breed puppies. This food is one of the best and safest to feed to ensure optimal growth and lean body condition when fed to the feeding guidelines and activity level of the dog.

Regardless what you choose he will need to stay on Pro Plan for 3-4 weeks after you get him before switching.

#103464 Report Abuse
    Yx

Darion P, – While not specifically formulated for large breed puppies, FROMM’s Surf & Turf and Beef Frittata Veg recipes are formulated for all life stages and have a Calcium to Phosphorus ratio of 1.1-1 with only 2.9 grams of Calcium per kilogram of food (perfect for a large breed pup) In addition, FROMM uses only high quality ingredients NEVER sourced from China, no artificial colors, flavors, toxic preservatives or generic or rendered meats.

Perhaps you have already read these, if not, it would likely be worth your time. – /best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/ – /red-flag-ingredients/dog-food-preservatives/ – /choosing-dog-food/dog-food-meat-content/

Good luck with your new pup!

#103564 Report Abuse
    Jeremiah S

Yx you are correct. Fromm is very good food. Also every ingredient is such high quality food that it wouldn’t hurt us humans if we ate it. I would strongly keep away from constant feeding of any Purina Dog Food, because of all the byproducts and artificial colors. There have been many dogs that have died of intestinal damage and cancer due to feeding of Purina. It is even worse for puppies because of there small intestines and undeveloped immune system.And Derium, please feed the Fromm. Also, if you have or are going to have cats, try Fromm Cat Food.

-Wolf

#103565 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Jeremiah-

Could you provide any actual proof that Purina foods have caused intestinal damage and cancer? I have a 10 year old Lab who has eaten Purina products for almost all his life and he is extremely healthy. I also have a dog with stomach issues that can only tolerate Pro Plan. Also there are no artificial colorings in Pro Plan.

My guess is the cause of the cancer and intestinal damage in whatever dogs you are referring to was unrelated to the food and more closely related to genetics.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.