🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    joanne l

Hi, I stated a post on gas, but I need more help. My dog been eating lamb and rice pro plan for almost 1 yr. Sunday 8/12 I bought their chicken and rice. I slowly mixed in with lamb for 4 days. No diarrhea, but some gas. Then I opened up a new bag of lamb and rice on Friday and still mixed the two, by Monday he refused to eat in the morning and he had some nausea. So Monday night I back up on the chicken and rice and feed him his lamb and rice with only a hand full of chicken and rice. Tuesday really sick with diarrhea. So I stopped the chicken and rice and continued with his regular diet. Wednesday still having diarrhea, so I gave him bland diet with only a little lamb and rice by Thursday really sick vomiting diarrah really bad. So I stopped the lamb and rice dry food and gave bland diet, Friday he felt better no diarrhea. I am very nervous!!!! I hate changing diets so I really need to find out if his regular food was a bad batch or could it be the chicken and rice? He been on bland diet and he needs to get some dry food I don’t know If I should give him back the lamb and rice or get different brand. I feel bad b/c he is hungry and he needs to gain weight I can’t just home cook for him he needs dry food with it. I am afraid to get him sick.

#120738 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Joanne,
    Yes, I would write down Use by Date & Batch Nb on Lamb & Rice formula & then take it back aswell & explain to the pet shop person what has happened, then get a LID new “brand” kibble…
    always read the use by dates on kibble bags before you buy a bag, a fresh good kibble should have 1yr -18months on kibble bag…
    I’d be stressing aswell cause it could be the Lamb & Rice formula if you just purchased the kibble??

#120754 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I did call Purina and put a complaint in for both foods and gave them the exp date and lot numbers. The dates are good not expired. thank you Susan for all your concern and help.

#120864 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I just spoke with the vet, he said to give him back the pro plan lamb and rice since his is better now. If he starts getting sick then we have to change the food. I told him I am afraid to do that. He said well you won’t know if you don’t b/c it may not be that food. He agreed that the chicken formula could be the culprit.

#120885 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I just gave him back the lamb pro plan and he pooped really soft again with some undigested food crumbs.

#120890 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Talk to your vet. In person preferably, or on the phone in depth. Call the vet, leave a message with the receptionist and, if your vet is good, you’ll get a call back when they have a few free moments.
    If he was doing well on the lamb and rice, I’d consider this some kind of dislike of his system to the new chicken and rice diet and be hopeful that changing from lamb to chicken messed him up a bit, and even after going back to lamb, his gut is still on strike a bit and isn’t back up to par.
    The vet might want you to stick to a low fat, bland diet for awhile then slowly go back to his old formula. A bland home made diet will cause no harm short term, and make sure your vet knows what you’re feeding, and ask them how long they should be fed this.
    If you’re unsatisfied, there’s no harm in seeking a second opinion of course.
    Whatever happens, I hope things straighten out.

#120894 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi,
    I’d stop the Purina Pro Plan Lamb & Rice before he gets real sick again, it might have something wrong with this batch of kibble like you said.
    Take the bag of Lamb & Rice back & see if there’s a different batch nb & use by date & swap or try something else…
    A few years ago I tried Patch on the Purina Pro Plan Opti-Restore for Stomach/Digestion it is Lamb, Rice & Barley, Patch started doing sloppy poos then diarrhea, I took him to the vet to get a script of Metronidazole cause Patches diarrhea didnt get better after I stopped the Pro Plan Optirestore, the vet put her finger in Patches bum to feel around his bowel & when she pulled her gloved finger out it had all yellow undigested kibble thru his poo on her glove finger, she said his stomach is digesting this food…
    So now I dont know, can he eat barley, was it just his stomach not working properly? or does he have food sensitivities to Barley? alot of these grain dry kibble have barley in them here in Australia…..

Also I had to take back the Pro Plan OptiDerma Sensitive Skin & Coat dry food, I bought around the same time you started the Pro Plan Chicken & Rice food a few weeks ago, at first Patch did really well when he was having 1/2 Wellness Core & 1/2 Pro Plan OptiDerma kibble but as soon as he was just eating the Pro Plan Optiderma Patch started doing Mr Whippy yellow poos, he was doing 2 poos a day but he started whinging, farting, he had bad wind pain & poos became worse, I couldn’t pick poos up, so I stopped feeding him the OptiDerma on Tuesday, as soon as he went back to his Wellness Core the next day Wednesday & today his poos are firm & he went back to normal, now he is starting to itch again 🙁
    One good thing happened while I was introducing the Pro Plan OptiDerma dry kibble he had NO itchy smelly skin, no red paws, so he must be sensitive to the Chicken in the Wellnesss Core, the Wellness Core is also higher in protein-35% so he’s getting heaps more chicken, I always knew he has skin problems when he ate raw chicken & cooked chicken but when chicken is in some dry kibbles that are lower in protein his paws & skin isn’t that bad like when he ate raw chicken or cooked chicken thru elimination diet, the chicken doesn’t seem to affect his stomach or bowel only his skin….

#121010 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Susan, did you give the pro plan recently??

#121013 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Thank you everyone, I think maybe so his system is still messed up. I took back the lamb and rice just incase something is wrong. I bought the lamb and oatmeal sensitive skin and stomach one for now. Maybe he will be able to eat this for a while but I am keeping him on bland diet for a few days and I am going to call the vet. He has not had the chicken and rice over a week. I can’t believe it did that much harm if it did in fact do it. I am soooo discussed. He is a big dog and it is hard to just feed him a bland diet. I feel so bad for him. I should of left well enough alone. I have a GSD and my friend does too and he said to me don’t mess with their food. Another words don’t change something that is working for the dog.

#121015 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

This sounds like a good plan Joanne.
    Maybe the vet will have some answers for you.

If you find a brand that works, it might be good to check into other similar brands and keep a stock of that bland diet in the freezer if possible because dog food companies seem to like changing and screwing with formulas, and if this happens it’s nice to have an immediate back up until you come up with a solid long term plan.
    (I had a friend years ago feed California Natural for his Bulldogs ear and skin issues, his dog was doing SO well and when the company went kaput, he was so upset.)

#121016 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I need help this dog is now pooping mucus and he can’t tolerate metrodonazole, so the vet can’t give him that so I am at my wits end here until I talk to the vet. Now I just found out my neighbor sprayed round up we don’t use chemicals now I am worried if it is the weed killer. I was not home when he did it one of my other neighbors seen him do it a week and half ago and that’s when my dog got sick I am terrified!!!!!!!!!!!! We spoke to him and ask him not to use it near our yard anymore.

#121023 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Joanne,
    this happened with Patch at all the local parks in our area, the council men would spray the grass & weeds at all the parks every 3 months & they only put up their weed spraying signs saying they are spraying & have the name of the weed killer poison that they were using at each end of the walk ways, then when they were finished they take down their weed poison signs & leave so if you came a few mins or hours later you wouldnt have a clue there’s poison every thru the park where the dogs walk on the grass & sniff & this poison gets absorbed thru their paws or they lick their paws 🙁

Did you end up trying a new dry food or you were going to re feed Pro Plan Lamb & Rice formula but you were worried to retry it again??
    What dose was he taken when he took the Metronidazole? with Patch I have to do very low dose 200mg with a meal twice a day every 12hours then after 4-5 days I just give him 1 x 200mg Metronidazole tablet at night with his meal then he goes to sleep…

I’m looking thru Patches IBD note pad, I use to write things down when another dog in the IBD group had similar IBD problems like Patch had…
    here’s other drugs that are used for dogs with IBD but the dog reacted to Metronidazole & dog can not take the Metronidazole.
    Sulfasalazine
    Olsalazine
    Secnidazole or Tinidazole
    Doxycycline,
    but my vet told me there is NO drug the same as Metronidazole that has an anti inflammatory & antibiotic in it?

Holistic meds instead of using Metronidazole.
    “Colloidal Silver” from health food store, Colloidal Silver is suppose to help anything bacterial, fungal or viral, upset stomach instead of giving the dog Metronidazole or there’s L-Glutamine, Licorice root but Ive never tried the Holistic meds, Lew Olson swears by L-Gutamine she has her “K-9 Nutrition” F/B group, I never tried the holistic meds cause Patches vet ended up talking to another vet & he said to re try a very low dose Metronidazole for a 17kg dog & said to give Patch 250mg Metronidazole twice a day every 12 hours with a meal, so now when needed I just give 1 x 200mg Metronidazole tablet twice a day when Patch first starts the Metro then I reduce in 3-5 days to just 1 x 200mg Metro tablet Patch poos dont go good straight away, his poos are yucky for 5-10 days then after I’ve stop the Metronidazole he starts to do 2 perfect poos again…
    I found this really good information, research done on small & large breed dogs the other day in the files of my”Dogs With Inflammatory Bowel Disease” – Raw Feeding & Holistic Support ” F/B group..

when you have a quiet 15mins read thru all this
    REVIEW ARTICLE
    Digestive sensitivity varies according to size of dogs:
    a review M. P. Weber, V. C. Biourge and P. G. Nguyen
    Royal Canin Research Center, Aimargues, France..

After reading the review I now I understand why Patch who is only a medium size breed dog does really well on “Large Breed kibbles” they are made for a large breed dogs stomach & bowel, to prevent large breed dogs getting bloat & other intestinal problems…

Have you ever tried a Large Breed dry dog food that was grain free & had Potatoes, no Lentils or Chickpeas? the “Wellness Core” Large Breed Adult formula is really good or another dry food that has similiar ingredients & has high Protein, low/med Fat, Fiber & low Carb % low Kcals per cup, I was always scared to try over 30% for Protein but Patch seems to d better with less carbs…
    I hope this link works it explains why small breed dogs & large breed dogs need different dry diets. here’s a bit of the Review.

For a large breed dog, the general goal is to limit any ingredient that could increase the level of fermentable undigested residues and, in fine, exacerbate colonic fermentation. Highly digestible sources of proteins and starches are therefore strongly recommended to maintain an optimal digestive tolerance…
    Fermentable fibre sources (i.e. beet pulp and FOS) must also be used in limited quantity in their diet. Conversely, the incorporation of non-fermentable fibre (i.e. cellulose) appears useful to increase their stool quality. It’s a really good read, I hope this link works, it worked when I posted it on f/b for another lady whos dogs is pooing too many poos & is doing sloppy/jelly poos….
    Patch didnt do well when Patch was only eating the Purina Pro Plan OptiDerma, I had to put him back on the Wellness Core Large Bred & the next day perfect poos..

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Digestive%20Sensitivity%20and%20Dog%20Size.pdf?token=AWxdS0LAtYflktKtk13bU2vfu6buTNCdW6HuK-ODXVMRA1UBaouyR1S_TfaVGEbXbIpp2p6fRZXdmszsoTwQZGhNeoDyb0W9R_0CvuF-OKim0TaYxFpqxeGUiMAul6fOw942a71TqDuB7PAfHWAjeqQEF40Ftp4UF-2VFrylY3uo-A

#121028 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Well I took away all dry food last week and cooked diet then he got better. No vomiting or diarrhea. Then I reintroduced the lamb and rice (which he been eating) and the first 2 days fine then diarrhea again with mucus. So I took back the bag. I can’t understand this. It is either 1. His stomach is messed up and can’t handle dog food right now. 2. weed killer. 3. bad batch. So, I am trying the pro plan S.S. lamb and oatmeal. I am still cooking for him and I gave him a handful of this new food last night. Usually I am good at finding out what cause this in my dog, but this time I am confused. There are too many assumptions but no answers. I try to use the rule Ockham’s Razor, did you ever hear of that? Well, it was a philosopher and that statement means the simplest answer is usually the right one. So that’s why I assumed it was the chicken, b/c that is what was new in this mess. But now I have to rethink this b/c weed killer was involved as well.

#131871 Report Abuse
    joanne l

This is frustrating, I just put my dog on health extensions dog food, I did a slow transition, for 3 weeks and he is on all new food for 2 weeks, now diarrhea. He didn’t have it when I was transitioning, could it be the food anyway? How long will you know if a food is going to be a fit for a dog. I thought I would be able to tell in a week if his system couldn’t handle it. Could it take longer for symptoms to show up? Like diarrhea? With my other dog if I transitioned him and if the food didn’t agree with him I would know it right away.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.