🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kendall_Parent
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I have an almost 2 year old Jack Russell terrier. When I first adopted him, over a year ago, I started him on Nutro Max. He loved it at first, almost a year later he began picking at it, clearly not enjoying it. Then began to throw up, usually about three times a week. Per my vet’s recommendation, I switched him over to Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. He loves it! He always clears his bowl, and hasn’t thrown up in months! However, I’ve heard and read many mixed reviews about Science Diet. Any recommendations on a good quality sensitive stomach food for my little fur baby?? Or maybe he’s outgrown his tummy issue??
    I appreciate your help!!! 🙂

#26932 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

NutriSource has been my go to food for quick switches because it is easy to switch to, that usually equates to easy on tummies.

#27059 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Pattyvaughn, which Nutrisource have you used? I don’t want a food with poultry in it. As you know, I’m using TOTW but I’m not opposed to trying another to see if it would work. Thanks.

#27066 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’ve used all of them except Seafood Select.

#27069 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve used Seafood Select a time or two. I don’t recall the dogs having any issues.

#27074 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Thanks, guys!

#27342 Report Abuse
    AliScooter
    Participant

I have a 14 year old Jack Russel girl. Over the past few years she goes through bouts of sensitive stomach issues. She is currently eating Precise Lamb meal & rice sensicare. (I have another dog with food allergies, so I feed them both with this). My gir (Ali) can go for weeks with no stomach problems, then have a flare up for seemingly no reason. One vet told me that frequent small meals may help this so the stomach doesn’t build up too much acid. If I remember, I try to give her a small snack before bed so she doesn’t have an empty stomach over night… It seems to help some. I also wonder about the glucosamine that is in a lot of dog foods now a days. I know that I took a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement for awhile and developed terrible acid reflux. When I researched it, I found that reflux is a possible side effect. The reflux went away after I stopped taking the gluc/chon supplement. Anyway, it is something all the pooches with stomach problems now a days.

#27350 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Try adding a little Apple Cider Vinegar(make sure it has the mother in it) to her meals, about a half teaspoon per cup of food mixed with a little water. Seniors often don’t produce enough stomach acid on their own to signal the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach to close all the way(humans and dogs both), so they get acid reflux. Then they are treated with acid reducers, which just compounds the problem rather than fixing it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.