šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rick W

Hi,

I’ve been doing a lot of research on food for our new puppy. He is an F1B Goldendoodle and is about 3.5 months old. He will probably end up around 70-80 pounds based on his parents. I currently have him on Fromm’s Heartland Large Breed Puppy kibble. It’s grain-free and based on what I could read, seemed to be better than others. I’m on here now because I’m noticing his poop is formed at first and then towards the end if very runny (gross, I know). All his vet checks have been fine. Just wondering what your thoughts are on if this is food related. I’ve tried to check out raw feeding, but I just can’t do it on our own and it’s too expensive to purchase, especially has he gets bigger.

Thoughts?

In case you need it, here are the ingredients for the food we are feeding: Beef,Pork Meat Meal, Peas, Lentils, Chickpeas, Potatoes, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Whole Egg, Pork Liver, Pork Fat, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Lamb, Cheese, Sweet Potatoes, Brewers Dried Yeast, Alfalfa Meal, Carrots, Lettuce, Celery, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Chicory Root Extract, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Tryptophan, DL-Methionine, Sodium Selenite, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Vitamins, Minerals, Probiotics

#109181 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Rick-

The fiber on this food is high, very high in my opinion as it is 6%. That could be part of the reason you are noticing his poop is soft. I like Fromm in general but this may not be the most appropriate food for him. What was the breeder feeding? Perhaps it would be best to keep him on what they feed.

#109182 Report Abuse
    Rick W

Thanks! The breeder uses Life Abundance. Itā€™s a direct marketing company. I just assumed that there was better options out there. Iā€™ll look at other brands and check fiber content unless you have some suggestions regarding food with less fiber.

Thanks!

#109183 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Eek yeah I’m not a fan of life’s abundance. I’m surprised there was not some clause in the contract stipulating that you needed to feed that food for the life span of the dog or the contract was void.

Precise Holistic Complete Large and Giant breed puppy is 3.5% Max fiber. I also am not a big fan of grain free for puppies. I notice a lot of folks have similar issues as you when feeding grain free foods to puppies.

#109186 Report Abuse
    Rick W

Thanks for the suggestion on grain-free. Our previous goldendoodle needed grain free so I just assumed it was best to start that way. Certainly would be more cost effective if we didnā€™t do grain free.

Actually, Fromm also has a regular (not grain free) large breed puppy food that is also 3.5% Max fiber. Iā€™ll take a look at Precise as well. Farmina caught my eye but itā€™s pretty expensive.

By the way, the breeder didnā€™t have food in the contract. I double checked after you mentioned it. Have a great day and thanks for the conversation.

#109187 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Glad you mentioned the Fromm Gold line. I do prefer that line to their Grain Free lines personally. I like Precise. I’ve seen a giant breed and small breed dog grow on it. No issues with the giant breed and hes 4 now (Great Dane). Best of luck with whatever product you choose.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.