šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Harpers Mom

I live in Florida and fleas are year round, we’ve never had a problem with them until recently though. I don’t want to resort to using harsh chemicals but all the home remind it’s I have heard of aren’t working. I’ve tried bathing in dawn, adding apple cider vinegar to the dogs water, flea combing for HOURS! I am out of ideas. I’ve heard adding a small amount of dietary sulfur to the food may help? Ideas please!!

#31821 Report Abuse

I live in South Florida and the fleas are a killer this year! We have been battling an infestation too. I think the key is to keep from bringing them back inside. We sprayed a yard spray by Virbac on the grass in the back yard where the dogs spend time outdoors. You can buy it online from Petco and Amazon but it was actually cheaper to buy from the vet. If your problem is really bad like ours was, I would recommend spraying the yard where your dogs spend their time then bomb your house a day or two after. You’ll need to treat the yard again in 10 days for the next cycle of fleas, but that should get most of them. That is what worked for us.

#31825 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I live in FL too. And I remember a couple years ago when we had a damp fall, the fleas were really bad heading into winter. I did everything I could think of every 2 weeks for about six weeks before I finally caught a break. Find me some wood to knock on because I’m about to say something stupid. I haven’t had a flea problem at all this year. I don’t know if it is the raw food, the vinegar, the garlic, the whatever, but I have not had fleas much at all this whole year.

#31838 Report Abuse
    Harpers Mom

We are planning to get stuff to do the yard and flea bomb the house on Monday, I will try the virbac! Pattyvaugh, how much vinegar and garlic do you add to the food? Harper is about 60lbs. I would love to feed raw, but the therapy dog organization that Harper is through does not allow feeding raw to the active volunteers. So we use Merrick and earth born holistics and rotate canned toppers.

#31840 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

1/2 teaspoon per cup of food for the ACV. And 2 cloves of garlic 3 days in a row then 4 days off. The garlic needs to be chopped up right before feeding. I’ve heard B vitamins make you taste bad to biting bugs…

#31843 Report Abuse
    Harpers Mom

Okay so for the garlic it would be a clove in the morning and a clove at night for 3 days then 4 days off correct? Sorry for all the questions.

#31844 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, that would do it. Questions are all good.

#31915 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I found one vet that recommended using Nyguard insect growth regulator for the yard. Can’t remember the website now but the vet had also recommended other natural remedies as well.

#32305 Report Abuse
    hamjack

If you don’t want to use chemicals I recommend this….

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/parasites/a/Diatomaceous-Earth-For-Flea-Control.htm

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.