🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SandyandMila
    Participant

After less than 2 weeks of using Frontline the fleas are back with a vengeance. Mila’s immune system might be down due to the antibiotics she’s on after her spay surgery staples so maybe that’s why she can’t fight them off, no matter what I try. It’s hard since I can’t bathe her until the staples are removed, so what should I try, it’s ruining her skin and coat.

#21252 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I read something just a couple days ago that was saying to rough up the peel of a lemon and rub that all over your dog. It is supposed to be a good natural repellent.

#21254 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I’ve had good luck with Sentry Naturals Topical and Earth Animal’s herbal flea and tick tincture. I haven’t found a single flea or seen any flea dirt on the girls all summer (I comb them daily with a flea comb).

#21255 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

Here are some good tips on Fleas: http://everydayroots.com/flea-remedies

#21256 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

That had some great tips, thanks. I’ve been using ACV maybe I just need to use it differently. Thanks everybody!

#21257 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

I saw the Sentry natural spray at Petco but was unsure about the castor oil. It that safe for a dog’s skin?

#21259 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I’ve never used the spray, I just use the topical. I don’t remember reading castor oil on the topical. It should be safe, some people react to it but I mean you can drink it so I can’t imagine it’d damage the skin too much lol

Here’s an article on it from Mercola:

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/04/28/castor-oil-to-treat-health-conditions.aspx

#21260 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

I’ve been using a spray with that same ingredients except the castor oil so I just wasn’t sure about it. I’ll try the topical one.

#21265 Report Abuse
    Mary Lou
    Participant

Our Bichon has flea allergy dermatitis. We live in Florida where fleas are abundant. I have followed this site since it’s infancy; so wanted to try everything natural. I was even going against the advice of our guy’s dermatologist. For about a year now, we compromised, and went with a combo. I am not crazy about “drugs”, but it came down more to quality of life. Our guy gets Comfortis monthly, and we use Dr. Mercola’s Natural Flea and Tick Defense applied after being sprayed on a paper towel. I never spray it on his skin. I can’t even remember the last time we saw a flea.

#21268 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

The spray I use from Pet Naturals has the same ingredients and hasn’t worked. That why I tried Frontline. Seems to be worse this summer.

#21288 Report Abuse
    marmarx89

SanDnMila, have you done anything to treat your home? Flea eggs love to hide in carpets and bedding, even sofa cushions if your dog goes on there. Your dog can be flea free and continually reinfect themselves if the eggs are still hidden in your house and hatch into more fleas. Have you tried a product called capstar? It will kill all the fleas on your pet within 24 hours, its an oral tablet they take once. you can get it from your vet its helpful to use that first and then apply the preventatives.

#21307 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

I got the Sentry Naturals topical for her today. Smells pretty strong but I like it. I also got a waterless shampoo by Vets Best to use for now until her staples are out. I also left the sliced lemon in a pot over night and tried that this morning not sure if it did anything or not. I’ve been adding ACV to her water anyway so I’ll continue doing that. I have treated the home and will continue to I also got a spray for the home and her bedding. I saw at the pet store an item that is added to the water. It contains garlic, vinegar, water and salt. Is salt ok for her?

#21310 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I use something like that called Flea Free Supplement. It’s vinegar, garlic, and some herbs. And I just bought some Bug Off tablets. Of course, not using both at the same time.

#21311 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

The Sentry Naturals will smell really strong for the first one or two days after application than it fades a bit and leaves the dog with a nice light spice smell 🙂

#21455 Report Abuse
    jnbuglady
    Participant

Hi, I have a little dachshund who has terrible allergies, he is bitting,chewing all the time, his skin is leathery where he has chewed so much, I have taken him to the vet multiple times, we have tried medications,medicated soaps,the only thing that helps him is prednisone, but you can’t stay on that all the time, we don’t know what to do for him. We have to be real carefull with him because he has liver problems, and hemmoragic gastroenteritis, so we are severly limited in our treatment. Any ideas? Thanks Joann

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.