Fish based dry dog food with NO poultry?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Fish based dry dog food with NO poultry?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    T H

I have been feeding my dogs Victor Yukon River for the past 2 years and everything has been great aside from the fact we relocated to a new area and the nearest supplier is 40 miles away and they charge $24 more than anyone for a 30lb bag. Are any of you using, and able to give a recommendation for a fish based dry food with absolutely zero poultry products? Thanks in advance.

#81854 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I have been using this product (dry and canned) for 4 years now for 3 dogs (2 with issues)
    with good results.

Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea http://www.chewy.com/dog/dogswell-nutrisca-grain-free-salmon/dp/35033

Salmon, Menhaden Fish Meal, Peas, Chickpeas, Salmon Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Pea Fiber, Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Salmon Oil (a source of DHA), Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Dried Eggs, Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Carrots, Cranberries, Apricots, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Iron Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Proteinate, Biotin, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Rosemary Extract

PS: It looks like chewy carries the dog food you mentioned http://www.chewy.com/dog/victor-yukon-river-salmon-sweet/dp/120706

#81855 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi TH,

I went to Chewy.com and did a search of foods with fish as the primary protein. There are lots to choose from that are poultry free. Orijen Six Fish, Acana Pacifica, Zignature Trout and Salmon, Wellness Core Ocean, several varieties of Fromm, Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch…, are all brands that are on the first page of the search that I’d use, that a quick glance of the ingredients seems to indicate contain no poultry. There are lots more than that to choose from.

FWIW, I believe strongly in a rotational diet. If you’ve been using fish based foods for a while, maybe it’s time to try a new protein for a while. A variety of proteins is important for a complete amino acid profile. Rotating foods also helps to avoid prolonged exposure to less desirable ingredients.

Good luck finding something new!

#81861 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi TH,

DogFoodie gave you some really good options. I have, and many family members, ordered online and we’ve had really good luck if you use reputable sites like chewy or petflow. I also agree about rotating between at least a couple of protein sources for the reasons mentioned. Good luck with it!

#81872 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Both Chewy and Sport Dog Food dot.com both carry Victor Yukon River.
    Buy from there, both are great esp Chewy (simply for their return policy) but I urge you to find a couple other foods your dog can eat.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.