🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Tina

My GSD mix has become very finicky over the past few weeks. In both the mornings and afternoons he will either turn his nose up or take a bite and then walk away. I’ve tried adding fresh chicken and chicken broth but he eats the chicken right out of it. Other techniques I’ve tried include, changing flavors of wet food, changing brands of wet food, changing both brands and flavors of wet food, changing textures of wet food and last changing dry food. He’s tried Hill’s Science Diet (Wet and Dry), Blue Buffalo (Wet), Wellness (Wet), Nutro (Wet and Dry) and Hill’s Ideal Balance (Wet and Dry). He’s had chicken as his protein since he was a puppy. What dog food is good for finicky eating dogs both wet and dry? What should I do?

#42282 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

I don’t have the answer because your post could have been eritten by me. I am going through this with my Stansrd Poodle right now. She was a great eater she would lick her bowl clean and look for more. She is almost 8 mos old and she just starting being picky a few weeks ago.

#42314 Report Abuse
    Tina

As an adult Shadow started off on Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Skin and Coat formula (back when the formula was separate). Then I gradually changed him over to Hill’s Science Diet Large Breed Adult. He was eating that great until recently when I began reading about ways to help demodectic mange. I began changing him over to Hill’s Ideal Balance Grain Free Adult Chicken and Potato formula. He ate that for the first few days but then he stopped so I tried different types of wet food with it.

#42326 Report Abuse
    Tina

7 days later we had to switch back to Hill’s Science Diet Large Breed Adult because he stopped eating. He ate it for one meal but stopped the second meal. The I bought a bag of Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Young Adult. He gobbled that down the first three days but stopped again the fourth day. Throughout this process I tried all types of wet food and even chicken broth ad well as chicken.

#42630 Report Abuse
    TJ

I’m in the same boat, this past month our 1 yr old terrier has become super picky and will graze her food throughout the day now instead of eating it all at once. I’m not sure if it is an age thing or about the same time I started trying Merrick which she has turned up her nose too. Now going back to Science Diet she will eat it but super slow and will run around the house with a bites in her mouth. I think Im going to try a different brand like Fromm or Acana but it has been a frustrating experience trying to switch to healthier foods

#42636 Report Abuse
    Tina

Shadow is eating Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Skin and Coat and Stomach. He does the same thing, eats it very slow.

#42648 Report Abuse
    Eric Q

im having the same problem. I got my puppy last September from north shore animal league. I was feeding her what they were giving her (just some super market brand puppy chow) I immediately started swiching her to the better food (wellness just for puppy) she would maybe 2 times a week finish her food. I tried many brands from call of the wiled, wellness, nutro, and others. I tried mixing wet with dry , only dry , only wet and nothing seems to interest her. She is now 11 months old and im at my wits end. I took her to the vet several times they say she looks good she is not under weight. but I know she is hungry. I do not as a rule give her any people food. Im the only one in my house so I know someone is not giving her stuff behind my back. I do sometimes give her a milk bone or a small carrot as a treat but nothing more and she devours the milk bone or carrot and looks for more but when it comes to meal time she will eat a little and walk away. I now get dried liver training treats from the pet store and grind them down and sprinkle it over the food. sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn’t. Does anyone have any advice? Please help!!!

#42654 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

Try buying canned green tripe for dogs and mixing a few spoonsful in with their regular food. It stinks to high heaven but they love it. Maybe your dogs have finished growing and don’t need as much food as they did in the past.

#42655 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Some dogs are like that. I recommend using smallest sized bags of food, and smallest cans, and finding one that works-maybe getting something really high value mixed in like a dehydrated raw, normal raw topper, etc.. remember, making them skip a meal won’t kill them, but will make them more enticed by the food for the next meal

Some dogs get bored quickly, which is part of the reason i do rotational diets.

#42681 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Last night I mixed about a 1/2 tablespoon of raw honey in with her kibble and she ate all of it! Does anyone know if a tablespoon of honey a day is ok for a almost 8 mos old standard poodle?

#42682 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

I just read you can give 1/4 tsp. for every 20lbs ypu dog weighs once a day.

#42691 Report Abuse
    Eric Q

I tried to mix in another brand yesterday after I posted (merrick) to no surprise she turned away from it and again this morning. she likes around the bowl and the place mat , licks my floor, I know she is starving but she will not eat what I give her, I don’t know what to do now. nothing seems to work now im very worried about her. but im sticking to my guns , no people food, I hope she eats soon, im soo sad about this. 🙁

#42701 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I would try some raw and see if that gets her going. Nature’s Variety Instinct, Sojos, The Honest Kitchen, if you have a place you can get something like bravo or primal (ive never used them, but people seem to like them) or even maybe freshpet chubs or bags of food. Try just that to start, and if she goes for it, mix in some kibble

#42717 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Have you consider cooking for your dog?
    I have a very picky eater when it comes to kibbles.
    Ever since I started cooking for him, he hasn’t refuse any meals.

#42738 Report Abuse
    Eric Q

I wish I could cook for her, Im trying to keep that as a last resort, not that I don’t want to its just a timing thing and I want to keep her on a schedule and I don’t want to confuse her if im not on time every day lol. I just spoke with my vet and im going to now try canned pumkin or something by merrick its called wingaling. ill keep you guys updated. wish me luck 🙂

#42743 Report Abuse
    cutedeedle

Heh, I think many of us have this problem! My finicky Standard Schnauzer loves any canned food but we’ve found that mixing most of the kinds of Tiki Dog canned food with some dry kibble of the Pure Vita Grain Free has done the trick for us. Too bad canned food is sooooo expensive, especially if you have more than one dog, or a very large dog or two. I agree with “aquariangt” about getting small cans and/or bags of food — lots of places offer samples of kibble — and see what your dog likes on a consistent basis. Another trick we use — crush up some freeze-dried liver (we use the Bravo Bonus Bites Chicken Liver) and sprinkle it in and on top of the food. I know, this is truly maddening. And our finicky Schnauzer doesn’t like pumpkin but my little Schnauzer 1 y/o loves it. Go figure. Grrrrrr!

#42744 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

I usually cook a large batch that will last 2 weeks. Portion into meal size, and freeze. Thaw overnight for each meal.

It doesn’t take that much time.

#42761 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

My dog dosen’t like the merrick wingaling she did seem to like merricks brats & tots and tonight I mixed merricks tripe with her kibble and she ate all of it!

#42762 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Oh and don’t give too much pumpkin it can give them diahrea.

#42931 Report Abuse
    Marietta B

I used to have a picky Shih Tzu. She would never eat and she always vomited bile from having an empty stomach. Then I discovered raw dehydrated food! She eats every day now and I’m guessing it’s been 3 years since I started feeding her the dehydrated raw. I alternate between Stella and Chewy’s, Primal and Ziwipeak. I also started feeding her Only Natural Pet Max Meat and the air dried variety of The Real Meat Company. Every time she finishes a bag I switch to another brand and protein and she never has digestive issues. I keep Tiki Dog and Weruva canned varieties on hand for days when I want her to have a special treat. Hang in there. You will eventually find some foods that your dog will love. Just try not to give in and offer treats because your dog will catch on quickly and will hold out for them.

#43157 Report Abuse
    Eric Q

well its been a few days and the merrick grain free roasted duck and sweet potato kibble with wingaling or southern comfort wet mixed in seems to do the trick. she still doesn’t eat all I give her or sometimes eats around the dry food. but at least she is eating something. im still going to try other foods. someone also suggested zignature (that is not a typo its spelled signature with a z) thanks for everyones advice. ill keep updating

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.