find Good diet

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health find Good diet

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ezao l

I need to find the best diet for my pitbull dog. it’s 6 months old
    Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for the help!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by ezao l.
    #140465 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Does he have an sensitivities? What is he eating now. Try to find a meat based food, feed two acheduled meals a day, do not over feet, add canned food, bone broths, toppers, etc any fresh meats as well as toppers. Some of my favorite foods are natures variety instinct, canidae ancestral, merrick back country, and essence dog food (at private pet stores only). They are all meat based and would make a good base diet along with the other additions I mentioned. Good luck.

#140480 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Fromm Classic Adult (as a base)
    https://www.gofromm.com/fromm-family-classic-adult-dog-food

Assuming your dog is in good health, if not, listen to what the treating vet recommends.

#140481 Report Abuse
    anonymous

If your dog is going to weigh more than 40/50 pounds as an adult you may want to consider a large breed puppy formula.
    Example: https://www.gofromm.com/fromm-family-large-breed-puppy-gold-food-for-dogs

Hope this helps
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2010/01/nutrition-in-large-breed-puppies/

#141265 Report Abuse
    Owen J

At the age of 3-4 weeks, the puppy begins to show interest in new food for him, since from that moment the mother’s milk gradually loses its nutritional value. A few simple rules will help translate a pet into ready-made rations that contribute to the harmonious growth and development of the dog.
    https://herepup.com/bil-jac-dog-food-reviews/

#141935 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Guys I really need help. Vonn cannot have chicken, so the holistic select was not working for him anymore, so I bought Purina lamb and rice and I am slowly transition with my homemade diet. He has been having good stools with beef and rice that I am making. Now with the little bit of Purina we are now having soft poop. Does this mean he has to adjust to it or is it not working? He is only been transitioning to this for 3 days what should I do?? I made a call to the vet and waiting for him to call back.

#141938 Report Abuse
    anonymous

As I have mentioned before, any change in diet will usually result in softer stools. It is not a concern unless it turns into watery diarrhea.
    A transition to a new food takes a minimum of 1 month to see if it agrees with the dog. In example: energy level, stools, coat etc.
    I switch foods cold turkey without any issues, depends on the dog I guess.
    If the last food didn’t agree with the dog why do a slow transition?
    Call your vet if you want, he will tell you the same thing (I predict).

PS: Maybe cut out the homemade stuff and keep it simple for now.

#141939 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Thanks Anon I will stay with slow transition for awhile to see if he adjusts. I guess I get worried too much. He likes the food at least. The last food he ate was fine but then bags were getting inconsistent in color and size, and he started having loose stools,so I called the vet and he said change the die. He said first give him beef and rice until he gets a firms stool so I did and he did get a firm stool, than I started transitioning this pro plan food now I guess I will wait like you said to see if he adjusts. Hopefully he will.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by joanne l.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by joanne l.
    #141966 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Joanne,

I don’t know which “Purina Lamb and Rice” you are feeding but the dry Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Lamb and Rice, Purina One Lamb and Rice, and Purina Beyond Simply 9 Lamb and Barley ALL contain CHICKEN.

Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach and Skin Lamb and Oatmeal doesn’t appear to have chicken as an ingredient, so maybe that’s the one you’re using? It does contain eggs and SOME dogs with chicken allergies MAY also react to chicken eggs, though this isn’t a given in all cases. Maybe your dog is fine with eggs.

Just figured I’d point this out, in case it helps.

#141975 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Thanks you for the info, I bought the pro plan lamb and rice Focus and the 5th ingredient is poultry by products. So may have to use what you said the Pro plan S.S they have the lamb and salmon ones.

#142039 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I am really worried about my dog. He loves to eat, however he is refusing foods. I called the vet and he is going to take a urine test and blood work. I am really upset. He spits out the pro plan dry food, and now only eat a mouth full of my beef and rice. Drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.