šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nancy M

Ok, looks like I’ve got a new issue or problem; maybe. I started switching a 3+ month old puppy over to TOTW’s Pacific Stream puppy formula, about 8 days ago. He was previously on Victor’s Hi-Pro Plus formula. A couple reasons for that, mainly availability of Victor, but he was doing alright on the Victor and was on it when I got him at 10 weeks old.

Anyway, as one other member (that I know of) also reported, I am seeing NUMEROUS stools; many more than while on the Victor. The stools are well formed though, but a bit softer than before. I am assuming that either the fiber content is too high, (the Victor was 3.8% max, while the TOTW is stated as 5%), or in the process of “adjusting”, or I’m over feeding. I was giving 1/2 cup, 3xday, and that’s probably too much…..I’ve cut down to 1/3 cup, 3 Xday. I’ve also been trying to get down to 3 meals instead of 4. Pup is also drinking quite a bit more water, again probably a result of the extra fiber, but of course, also makes potty training a bit more challenging.

My older dog (1 year old) is doing well on the adult version of this same food so far; much better than the Victor which gave her terribly itchy skin. I was trying to keep them both on the same brand and formula, but maybe this much fiber is just too much for the pup.

Suggestions and advice please.

Thanks as always!
    Nancy

#60493 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

P.S.

CLARIFICATION: I did not start out with this amount of the new food, I have slowly transitioned up to the 1/2 cup at each feeding that I’ve been giving. This portion still contains some of the previous food, but not much now. I just started noticing the increase in stools yesterday.

Also, I don’t have any more of the Victor to add to the new food, so should I just cut back down even further on the amount at each feeding, or use something to cut the ratio of the new food back down again, like cooked rice?

I don’t want to end up with a major explosion of diarrhea from too many “fixes”. This puppy has done exceptionally well in transitioning to a new home.

Nancy

#60551 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I consider 5% fiber to be a high fiber diet and inappropriate for puppies, especially puppies in house training. I would look for something closer to 3%. You probably won’t have any explosions from too high fiber as long as it isn’t super high, but it is harder for young pups to hold in while waiting for you to notice that they need to go out, so you are more likely to have to deal with accidents..

#60583 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

Thanks for your opinion BCnut, I tend to agree with you. I wonder why they make this puppy formula with such a high fiber; seems like all pups would have this same problem. Although I have noticed a little slow down in water consumption since yesterday afternoon.,Maybe this is a form of adjustment, or maybe it’s not really a good thing. I’ll have to watch him closely today before I decide to do something different. I have cut back on the amount of each feeding though, so maybe that’s helping. Fortunately, I am readily available to him, and make it a regular routine in going outside to relieve himself, we just have to do it more often. Although I have wondered how this affects his urinary system as well. He’s been really doing great on potty training since I got him and my particular set up is much easier than most situations. He just goes to the door and I’m right there to let him out and he’s right there in the spot he needs to go.

I hate to change him back to the Victor; just another change for him right now, plus the holidays are not a good time to have an upset puppy. I might try to locate a small bag of it though and reduce the amount of this new food for awhile longer though. Or maybe replacing some of the dry, with the same formula in the canned, might help too. One or the other should help, without tummy upset, I hope.,

Thanks again for responding……..
    Nancy

#60587 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

As long as it isn’t a problem for you with house training the fiber level isn’t detrimental in any way. And yes, the change in water consumption, both up and down, is due to adjusting to the food. Protein level changes and fiber level changes can affect water intake.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.