🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jnite
    Participant

I was just wondering if there is a fiber supplement of some sort just to bump up her fiber. Kira, my min pin had an anal gland rupture on thanksgiving, october for us Canadians, the vet recommended pumpkin, but she absolutely hates it so I am looking for something else. I have her on acana ranchlands as it has a 5% fiber content.

#11868 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Try sprinkling some Benefiber or plain unsweetened Metamucil on her food.

#11869 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I use plain ground psyllium husk, no additives. About 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon with food.

#11873 Report Abuse
    soho

Hi jnite.

For fiber flax seed meal and chia seeds have a lot more fiber than pumpkin. Psyllium seed husks have the highest fiber.

Here is a link for high fiber vegetables:

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2008/02/high-fiber-low-fiber-vegetables.html#eightplus_fiber_vegetables

#11874 Report Abuse
    soho

Be careful not to overdo the fiber. Too much fiber can cause a blockage. I would try to find a veggie from the link I posted as a first choice. Second choice would be the flax and chia. Last choice would be the psyllium. I have also found that adding some meat and calcium to most commercial dog foods will also firm up the stools.

#11927 Report Abuse
    jnite
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I have tried the metamucil as well and she wasn’t impressed. I may try the flax…

#11931 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

jnite,

Have you ever fed your dog raw food with ground bone? Raw food does wonders for stool. Some brands have nibblet sizes and/or 1 oz nuggets and they have frozen or freeze dried. Maybe you can incorporate some of it with her current food. Or one meal of kibble and one meal of raw.

#11950 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

jnite,

Natures Variety Instinct Raw Boost is a convenient freeze-dried powder supplement you can add to food and it has 8% fiber.

http://www.instinctpetfood.com/instinct-raw-boost-healthy-supplements-pets

#11979 Report Abuse
    mydogisme
    Participant

Please pray for Dixie to get well.She will need a miracle tonight and tomarrow to get her on her way to being ok. She had a blood transfusion yesterday and we are hoping her blood cells grab on and take hold and she gets better but its not looking like it. I need my Dixie home with me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.