šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cara H

I am feeding natures variety instinct salmon recipe right now which is around $80 a bag. I want to keep similar ingredients. This is the only one that has kept her from being gassy. I think it was too much of any potato, even sweet potatoes. Must be fish based and no potatoes of any kind. Any suggestions?

#41804 Report Abuse
    Cara H

oh and grain free

#41805 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

The only ones I can think of are Nutrisca, Live Free, some of the Great Life.

#41806 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

Zignature too.

#41828 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Have you checked out Nature’s Logic? They use millet as their binder. I think it is a little cheaper, but still wouldn’t consider it as budget friendly.

#41832 Report Abuse

I second Zignature. It is an absolutely fabulous food.

#41886 Report Abuse
    Suburban Gal

“Any suggestions?” -Cara H

NutriSource makes a grain free kibble called Seafood Select. No white or sweet potato in it. It’s also salmon based.

A 30 LB bag of it runs anywhere from $45-$55 a bag.

I found a 60 LB bag online for around $95.

#42138 Report Abuse
    Cara H

I will look into these suggestions. Thank u!

#42311 Report Abuse
    Cara H

Looking at natures logic. Emailed company to see if they offer trials or coupons. Looks good in ingredients!

#42323 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Cars,

I’d take a look at Victor. They do have a fish based food called Yukon River, but it also contains sweet potato. They have lots of other varieties that include fish, but aren’t fish based.

You also mention it had to be fish based. Is there a reason for that? I ask because fish based foods are more readily subject to rancidity than other proteins. Great WDJ article about that here: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_12/features/Fats-Chance_20658-1.html. if you must buy fish based food, buy the freshest you can and only as you need it. Don’t stock up on fish based kibble.

Now, if you’re wanting fish based for the added Omegas, you’re far better off adding fresh, whole food ingredients, such as tinned sardines two or three times weekly to a meal of kibble.

Here is an amazing little download written by Steve Brown, who also wrote the article I linked to above: http://www.seespotlivelonger.com/home/sll/page_41/see_spot_live_longer_the_abc_way___electronic_down.html. The download costs $2.95, but it’s worth its weight. It explains the advantages of adding fresh whole foods to your dog’s diet and how doing so, even one day per week in place of ameal of kibble, can make a huge difference in your dog’s overall health!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.