šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    OlRedHair

I have an 11 1/2 year old Golden Retriever. She is active and has a great appetite. But she is slowly losing weight on the same amount of food she has been fed for years. Also her coat is looking dull.

Do you address any of these issues? Or could you give me some suggestions? All her lab work and exam were fine at the Vet two months ago. But that was before these symptoms. I am taking her in to be checked tomorrow.

My Vet is an excellent surgeon, but does not know much about nutrition. So I thought I would ask the source I trust the most.

Thank you so much!

Nora

#32320 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Seniors can start to have issues digesting food and may actually need more food to get the same number of calories. If she checks out OK, you can start adding some coconut oil for calories. She may need to be moved to a better quality of food, because it is mainly protein absorption that suffers and then they need to be getting high quality proteins.

#32323 Report Abuse
    OlRedHair

Thank you so much, Patty. I didn’t realize that about seniors having difficulty digesting food. I see so many obese older dogs. But Molly is still very active. I will definitely research some better quality foods for her.

It’s funny, I had just bought her some coconut oil. How much should I give her per day? Just now I gave her a heaping teaspoon, and she loved it.

#32324 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Slowly work up to 1 tablespoon, 2 tablespoons at absolute most. They don’t have issues so much with fats and carbs, so that might explain the obesity you see, not to mention that neutered older dogs also may have a slower metabolism. I think most people tend to love their dogs to death by overfeeding.

#32325 Report Abuse
    OlRedHair

Thanks so much, Patty!

#32346 Report Abuse
    OlRedHair

I did research on the site, and like the sound of Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural. Do you think it would be an appropriate food for an 11 1/2 year old senior Golden? Or is it too rich? It is 38% protein and 5 star. Also the company has never had a recall.
    Thanks so much!

We just saw the Vet. He is concerned and ordered blood and an ultrasound. He did not feel any masses and her physical exam was normal.

#32352 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I don’t think that it will prove to be too rich, if she has not had digestive problems in the past. Just switch slowly so you don’t shock her system. I don’t use that particular Earthborn, because I have a dog with a chicken intolerance/hypersensitivity, but I really like Earthborn and use Great Plains Feast regularly and I have a bag of Coastal Catch to try soon.

#32355 Report Abuse
    OlRedHair

Thank you so much, Patty!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.