Feeding fish in a Homemade Diet

Dog Food Advisor Forums Homemade Dog Food Feeding fish in a Homemade Diet

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    alexis w

I recently started a homemade dog food diet and i am curious as to how much fish you feed your dogs. From my research the general consensus seems to be around two to three times a week so i came up with a few ideas for recipes but would love to hear your ideas

#86521 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

I aim for fish meals twice a week normally on weekends as I have the time to cook and prepare the fish.

I normally buy the frozen fish like frozen sardines, mackeral, and salmon with skin on as these types of fish have higher concentrations of Omega 3.

Other times I buy the fresh none frozen versions of these fish if I plan to feed them on the same day.

On those days I feed fish I normally feed my pup two large sardines (with head on) or half a pound of mackeral (without the head) or half a pound of salmon with skin on top of their raw food. My pup weighs 60lbs. I always cook my fish.

The only time I feed raw fish is when I order sashimi from my favorite Japanese restaurant, as this fish is prepared for human consumption to be eaten raw and I never had an issue when I eat it. Normally I just give him the sashimi salmon, mackeral, and crispy skin pieces.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Cannoli.
    #86527 Report Abuse
    alexis w

thank you so much for your insight on the matter @Cannoli! that is a great way to feed fish, i had been told to remove the bones, do you leave the bones in? i see you feed sardines with the heads. i am still new to all of this so still finding out and figuring out what is safe and what is not.

#86528 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

With the salmon they come in pounds already deboned. I never feed fish bones raw or cooked…way too dangerous. They are always sharp.

With the Mackeral I have it deboned by the store.

The Sardines I just removed the main backbone as the rest of the other bones are very soft after it is cooked. There are hardly any bones left when I removed the main spine backbone.

The sardines heads are small about the size of two quarters…He loves to chump on them and he loves the taste of the eyeballs…God bless his heart he takes after me. I love fish eye balls.

#86535 Report Abuse
    alexis w

@Cannoli, thanks for the info, it really helps. i didnt think fish bones were safe, and i learned something new, you can have the store debone the fish!

#86572 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

So far, the only fish I don’t feed bones and all is catfish, but I feed raw. My dogs have had salmon, tilapia, perch, herring, sardine, whiting, bass, drum, and a few others. I prefer to feed small whole fish, but I order whole fish grinds too. I also feed whole shrimp.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.