šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jcmccallum

Hi there! I am both new to the puppy/dog world and new to Dog Food Advisor. I am in the middle of researching the best puppy foods for my future pup (I pick him up December 7th!), and have (probably) settled on feeding him Fromm Gold or Horizon Complete kibble. I am not entirely sure, however, whether I should also be feeding him a wet topper. What are the benefits? Are there any disadvantages? Should I not feed wet food until he’s older?

Jenny

#57347 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

First, please don’t settle on one food. Go over to the review side and do a search for the article on rotational feeding.

For the first couple weeks, feed him exactly the way the breeder was feeding him. That way, the only big stressor on your pup will be the adjustment to his new living arrangements. After he has fully adjusted, then start transitioning to the new food. I would only add one new food at a time, so if there is any issue, you know what is causing it. Transition slowly, but know that if you do go with a rotational diet, soon you won’t have to transition at all to switch to a new food.

Yes, use canned foods, and dehydrated, and freeze dried, and if you can handle it, even raw.

The benefits of using canned are in the moisture content and the meat content. Canned is closer to a natural diet. However, be aware that some canned food companies under report their fat level by a huge amount and dogs that are at risk for pancreatitis can become deathly ill from eating some of these foods, so read the review before buying canned, and pay attention to what is said about the fat level down in explanation. If you are only using it as a topper, it probably won’t matter, but if you ever have a reason to feed a whole meal of the canned you are using, it is something to be aware of.

#57351 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Check out the video “The Best and Worst Types of Dog Food” as well. It’s on the Review side of Dog Food Advisor and also YouTube.

#57352 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, first ask what the breeder is feeding, I would feed both & try & introduce all foods to his diet in moderation… breakfast he has something different to dinner & lunch..

#57364 Report Abuse
    jcmccallum

Thank you for the quick responses everyone! The breeder is currently feeding the pups Natureā€™s Domain Grain Free Turkey Meal and Sweet Potato (3.5 stars). I will do some research on rotational feeding and start to figure out how to best introduce new foods into his diet once he’s settled. From personal experience, how often do you rotate your dry kibble? Anyone have any recommended canned food you and your dogs are particularly fond of?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by jcmccallum.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by jcmccallum.
    #57369 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I keep Wellness, Merrick, Weruva, Hound & Gatos and Tripett in stock. I also like using dehydrated or freeze dried foods and add water. One of the stores I go to sometimes will give a case price discount when I purchase 12 cans even though they’re mixed brands. I have many dogs so I have three bags of kibble open. And I have pugs so there’s actually nothing that they’re not fond of. I never have to worry about wasting food.

#57372 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I change dry foods weekly and wet foods every meal.

#57396 Report Abuse
    jcmccallum

This is all so very helpful to know! How quickly could I introduce a wet topper onto his kibble? I will keep him on the same dry diet as the breeder uses for a while, but would like to introduce wet aswell if it won’t upset his stomach.

#57401 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Leave him on as close to the same feeding routine as the breeder used for a couple weeks, then add just a small amount of canned. Remember that once a can is opened you should not store the unused food in the can. If it will take more than a couple more days to use up the can, you can freeze part of it. After a couple days on that amount, you can increase the amount a little at a time.

#57573 Report Abuse
    jcmccallum

Thanks BCnut!

#57575 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I love your avatar, BTW. Very cute pup.

#57583 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I’ll second/third/fifth what everyone said about keeping up with a rotation. Get one bag of what the breeder fed (hopefully they send you home with some) and once that’s close to gone, start mixing a new food in. With a puppy it’s pretty easy to get them on a rotational diet and be able to switch as often as you want. I switch after every bag, so approximately 3 weeks. Make sure you are switching up protein sources to keep a variety as well. I have a few brands that are always in rotation, and then I try to try something new every 5-6 bags as well

for toppers-since it’s a topper I give them a different one every day. I keep a variety of canned, dehydrated, and commercial raw to throw on top there. The fun thing about that is you can really get a big variety going-I keep a box of honest kitchen, a bag of sojos, and usually some frozen pucks of nature’s variety around. Then I just raid the store for whatever toppers seem fun at the time. I like Simply Nourish, Weruva, Tiki, Fromm, Earthborn-many others as well, but those are the brands most often in the house.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.