šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ami B

Hello all, I’m getting a Doberman puppy in just a few short weeks and I’ve been absolutely obsessing over what to feed the little guy to ensure proper growth and development and lessen the chances of any issues from too much calcium. I’m torn between a few different brands but always seem to come back to Annamaet even though they don’t have a food that branded for large breed pups. After some correspondence with a rep I was told that the Salcha, Sustain, and Manitok formulas were the grain free options that fell within the nutritional ranges for LBP. Does anyone have any experience feeding this or any insight/advice to offer me? Would any of those be a good choice for my pup?

#115580 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Ami-

I am unaware of Annamaet having a formula that would meet the needs of a growing large breed puppy. I would also not trust the representatives from the company to tell me that those formulas do meet the requirements. I would be emailing them back and asking for a “typical analysis” of each of the formulas you were told were appropriate. If they do not know what you are asking for or refuse to give it to you, do NOT use that company. If they DO give the typical analysis for those formulas you can then go to this thread /best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/ and copy&paste the calcium, phos, and calories into the calculator to see if it is acceptable. I would also recommend reading the article as well.

Typically, the foods that are going to have truly correct large breed puppy formulas are from larger companies like Purina, Hill’s and Royal Canin. This is because they employ veterinary nutritionists who have higher education in the field of pet nutrition. They formulate the diets and keep up on all new studies and research being done on these subjects.

#115609 Report Abuse
    Ami B

If Iā€™m not mistaken, I believe Annamaetā€™s Salcha and one other is on HoundDogMomā€™s recommended foods list (which was sooooo helpful by the way) and though that list is a couple years old it appears that the nutritional values she had listed are the same as the updated information I got from the site and the rep. I did use the calculator and I believe they were acceptable but Iā€™m very new to this and wanted some info from those of you that are educated on the matter!

Which food would you most recommend?

#115612 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

If the “Average Lab Data” on their website is in fact their typical values for ca/phos then yes the diet would be fine according to the calculator tool.

Please remember regarding Hound Dog Mom’s list 2 things. 1) There are 2 lists and B) it is extremely outdated. Most companies have changed their formulas more than once by now. You still always want to contact the company.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.