Feedback on Aflatoxin and Corn…And Canadian Brand suggestions

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Feedback on Aflatoxin and Corn…And Canadian Brand suggestions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Heather D
    Participant

I find it puzzling that in this most recent warning about the dangers of aflatoxin poisoning in dog food, we are quite specifically advised that corn may be the most likely ingredient to be contaminated with aflatoxin. Yet, in your site’s recommendations on ‘Best Dog Foods with Grain’, a number of the ones listed contain corn as one of the grain ingredients! Wouldn’t it be prudent to recommend a grain-inclusive food that does not contain corn?

And now my suggestion: I expect you have a number of Canadian subscribers (such as myself) who would appreciate more recommendations for Best dog foods that we can actually purchase in Canada? Even your recommendations for brands such as Acana that are sold in both countries, I believe are based on the American-manufactured formulations only, which are not the same as the Canadian formulations. Perhaps you could consider doing something like what “Consumer Reports” does, where they produce a short ‘Canadian supplement’ or section appended to their monthly publications containing specific ratings and information relevant to Canada. I know I would appreciate it!

#176183 Report Abuse
    Dudley S
    Participant

Heather: It is most important to:

Research to find the best, most pet responsible pet food companies and stores. Look for those that have very few recalls AND that have recalled their foods, prior to them hitting retailers, showing how pro active they are.

Regarding why DFA doesn’t exclude foods with corn, with there recommendations, is because it is much more likely to be the manufacturer, not the specific grain, as detailed, here:

Aflatoxin is produced by molds, most common in calorie-dense grains like corn, peanuts, rice, and wheat that are often included in pet foods. (from PetMD, created and run by dog food insiders, btw).

and

Wiki; ” Aflatoxins: “The fungi grow in soil, decaying vegetation and various staple foodstuffs and commodities such as hay, sweetcorn, wheat, millet, sorghum, cassava, rice, chili peppers, cottonseed, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and various spices. In short, the relevant fungi grow on almost any crop or food. When such contaminated food is processed or consumed, the aflatoxins enter the general food supply. They have been found in both pet and human foods, as well as in feedstocks for agricultural animals. Animals fed contaminated food can pass aflatoxin transformation products into eggs, milk products, and meat.[1]

Stay vigilant.

#176184 Report Abuse
    Dudley S
    Participant

Heather:

I should have included this, which supports my “it is much more likely to be the manufacturer, not the specific grain, as detailed, here:”

/choosing-dog-food/brand-guidelines/

I must say that Midwestern, one of the largest manufacturers, has been gaud awful for the past couple of years. Will not go back to their Earthborn until they get new, non family management.

#177735 Report Abuse
    Heather D
    Participant

Thanks for this feedback; much appreciated. And again, I would like to offer a suggestion in terms of the reviews for Acana dog foods (both Canada & the U.S., I believe) Acana has brought out a new dry food product line, which I expect was meant to address dog owners’ concerns about continuing to feed a grain-free diet. The new line “Healthy Grains” (four different formulations) looks to also be a superior product, and would, I think be worthy of assessment/review by DFA. (I switched one of my dogs to this line, and have been entirely pleased to note that her poops are now Very consistent–not firm one day, and sloppy the next–as they were on the Acana grain-free formulations…)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.