šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Sandy C

I feed my 3 year lab Acana Duck and Pear as this seems to be the only product that does not affect his allergies, but listed on your sight it is listed as the highest in reports – what are some other food choices in the dry formula that do not have Chicken, chicken meal, or chicken fat in them – this has been my dilemma. And would be nice if this is something I could afford.
    Thank you.

#142172 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach!

#142173 Report Abuse
    anonymous

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/questions-answers-fda-center-veterinary-medicines-investigation-possible-connection-between-diet-and

17. Whatā€™s the safest diet for my dog?
    Different dogs have different nutritional needs based on a number of factors, so nutrition advice is not one-size-fits-all. The FDA recommends asking your veterinarian, who may consult a board-certified or veterinary nutritionist, for advice about what to feed your dog.
    Itā€™s important to note that the reports include dogs that have eaten grain-free and grain containing foods and also include vegetarian or vegan formulations. They also include all forms of diets: kibble, canned, raw and home-cooked. Therefore, we do not think these cases can be explained simply by whether or not they contain grains, or by brand or manufacturer.
    To put this issue into proper context, the American Veterinary Medical Association estimates that there are 77 million pet dogs in the United States. As of April 30, 2019, the FDA has received reports about 560 dogs diagnosed with DCM suspected to be linked to diet. Tens of millions of dogs have been eating dog food without developing DCM. If you are concerned about the diet you are currently feeding your dog, FDA recommends working with your veterinarian, who may consult a board-certified veterinary nutritionist, to determine the best diet for your dog’s need.

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2019/06/fda-update-on-grain-free-diets-and-heart-disease-in-dogs/ excerpt below, click on link for article and comments

Further data collection and research will be necessary to determine the precise relationship between diet and DCM in these cases. There are likely multiple factors involved, including the ingredients in the diet, the genetics or particular breeds and individuals, and others we may not yet know about. Pet owners feeding these diets donā€™t need to panic, since far more dogs on these diets do NOT have DCM than do. However, if you are feeding one of these foods, or a diet similar in composition, and especially if you are feeding this to a golden retriever, it would be a good idea to talk to your vet about screening your pet for DCM and considering a change in diet.

#142174 Report Abuse
    anonymous

https://www.gofromm.com/highlander-beef-oats-n-barley-recipe-dog-food

It has chicken fat listed as the 13th ingredient. chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols)

https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-focus-adult/dp/128666?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Purina%20Pro%20Plan&utm_campaign=f

The ProPlan sensitive has “animal fat” listed as the 7th ingredient. Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols

PS: I suspect that small amounts of chicken fat should not affect your dog the way chicken meal might. The farther down the ingredient list the less there is.
    The first 10 are considered main ingredients.
    Consult your vet

#142517 Report Abuse
    anonymous

What are Screening Tests, and Should You Use them?

******** * ******* says:
    July 11, 2019 at 10:04 am
    I am wondering what the opinion is for screening electrocardiograms in light of the DCM scare with some cases being possibly related to grain free and legume heavy diets? If a dog has no outward symptoms of DCM and is no longer on a grain free diet, do we consider the extra measure of screening that dog with an echo? A dog may have DCM in the early stages with no outward signs..Some people are also getting Taurine blood levels as wellā€¦

skeptvet says:
    July 13, 2019 at 9:29 am
    An electrocardiogram looks for abnormal heart rhythms, not DCM per se, and would not be an appropriate screening test.
    An echo and taurine levels are recommended for dogs in which there is a concern, but again since the number of cases is VERY small in terms of how many dogs are eating grain-free diets, most of these tests will be negative. I still think they are worth doing in dogs eating the diets so far identified by the FDA or in high-risk breeds (e.g. golden retrievrs), but the testing costs several hundred dollars depending on where you live (both tests together are over $700 in my area), and the echo may not be readily available in places where there are not a lot of cardiologists practicing, so given the uncertainty not everyone chooses to have the tests done.

#142567 Report Abuse
    susan k

I feed Wellness Core kibble — the poultry variety. It’s a five-star food on Dogfoodadvisor’s best food list and has been for a long time. It does, however, have peas and potatoes listed as fourth and fifth ingredients, and legumes in particular may be problematic in the long run. Dogfoodadvisor and other sites recommend switching foods and brands regularly, but — I trust Wellness. The company adds no toxic preservatives, the food is “natural,” they do add taurine (because low taurine was a problem in cat foods some years ago), and both this dog and my last one have eaten it exclusively for years. Last year when the DCM scare was first announced I had my dog taurine tested, because he’s been on grain-free for so long, and his taurine is fine. Further, neither Wellness Core nor Cairn terriers are included in the published data on dogs with DCM. In short I feel safe with Wellness and want to keep feeding it to my dog (along with a bit of no-salt deli turkey, which I always add to his bowl), but I worry about sticking with one brand for so long, and about the grain-free formula with peas and potatoes. So, two questions: 1) Do other people feed Wellness Core, and are they hesitant to switch to a different food because they trust this one? and 2) if peas and potatoes may be problematic, why has this food been rated 5-star for such a long time?
    Susan K

#142605 Report Abuse
    joanne l

For the most part Wellness is a very good food. I do trust them even with the DCM scare, for some reason there formulas are in tip top shape. I don’t feed grain free, I don’t like the pea protein and pea fiber that some companies use. I have noticed that all the foods mentioned on the FDA list for DCM, they all have one thing in common, it is Pea Protein!!! These companies cleaver use pea protein to increase the protein % on the bag. I hope they get what they disserve. Wellness doesn’t use pea protein or pea fiber I don’t think. However, some people do use the same brand b/c they trust it, I don’t see anything wrong with that.
    https://eliandjojosbakerybites.com/pea-protein-pea-fiber-pea-flour-and-pea-starch-in-dog-food-why/

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by joanne l.
    #142611 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Sandy,
    Here’s Dog Food Adviser 20 Best Dry Dog Foods list, he emailed to all DFA people who have subscribe to get mail, I got this last week after FDA release the 16 brands that “MIGHT” be associated with DCM..
    /best-dog-foods/best-dry-dog-foods/?fbclid=IwAR1wJpUuDSSibm42V_A9GMalYW4_z1E91NFy1q01NAzf_GItd81nZBTwB1Q

Have a look at “Canidae Pure Formula’s” the Pure formula’s have limited ingredients & DFA has the Canidae Pure Sea on his best 20 foods list…… I rotate & feed Pure Meadow Senior & Pure Wild Pork when on special, Canidae has jumped in price in Australia..
    https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products

#142626 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yeah, and just a few weeks before that, the list contained many of the foods on the FDAs report. You clearly cannot tell the quality of the food by the ingredient label. You need to find a brand you trust. I would not and do not trust the ratings on this site.

#142627 Report Abuse
    Candice F

I think the most important thing about the FDA announcement is that the common thread appears to be foods with legumes, pulses (seeds of legumes), and/or potatoes as main ingredients in the food. NOT the brand. So consider that when you are choosing a food. I usually depend upon dogfoodadvisor to help me choose a food, and I read they are currently updating the website in light of the FDA announcement. Until then, I have made a list of foods without those ingredients in an article for my local news website. https://www.seviernewsmessenger.com/2019/07/14/best-dog-food-without-peas-legumes-potatoes/

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Candice F.
    #142629 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

To me, it looks like companies that are jumping on the band wagon trying to get a piece of the pie without having the proper credentials to formulate food. Most of the companies named do not have board-certified veterinary nutritionists on their staff and do not testing or feeding trials. They are using untested ingredients together that are not providing the necessary nutrients and amino acids to our dogs to keep their hearts healthy. It’s not just about ingredients. It is about the whole nutrient package. It apparently is more complicated than I once believed.

Companies like Diamond and Champion certainly have enough resources to hire experts and donate money or do their own research. Yet, they don’t and are making food that is potentially killing our dogs. I wouldn’t be surprised if cats are not far behind!

#145402 Report Abuse
    emchide
    Participant
    #145406 Report Abuse
    anonymous

/forums/topic/fda-names-16-brands-of-dog-food-linked-to-canine-heart-disease/#post-145405

#145578 Report Abuse
    Michael H
    Participant

I am disgusted with the lack of information being given to this DCM issue. Not one site–including Dog food advisor–has given a proper instruction as to what the minimum standard now is for dog food in light of the issues announced. The smokescreens about how grain free is the problem, BUT only because of the legumes and potatoes being used to prop up the protein, has not even been resolved. Now we get the best dog food in light of the DCM issue right here on this site, telling us that all these dog foods with various fillers like grain, alfalfa, rice, peas, potatoes, are the best. WHAT? Those fillers are all still bad. Yet the only food I am aware of, Sport Dog Food ELITE series, is not one of the top 20. Their lower quality active series is on the list, along with some oatmeal alfalfa and etc. The real issue with the DCM is that the deaths are all from vet reports that involved very expensive testing. And folks that have the money to pay for that kind of testing are going to be buying the best dog foods, meaning, grain free. That right there is the main part of the DCM issue. Now stop recommending dog food with fillers like oat meal and rice and alfalfa. You can get dog food without the fillers, no rice, no grain, no flax, no alfalfa, no oat meal, no soy, no corn, nothing but quality dog food, only from a few dog foods. The Sport Dog Food Elite series is one. And I get it straight from them for less money per pound, that most foods on your best 20 dog foods.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.